Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT - What would you put in a Hope Chest for your son and daughter?

I want dh to build a Hope Chest,one for each of our kiddos.In my dd I want to put her crochet baby blankets and an adult size one I plan on crocheting,a really nice Bible with a devotional book, a book of recipes that are hand written family favorites,a set of dishes,pots and pans,a good fiction book possibly about the bond of mothers and daughters,family pics so she has some....I can't really think of any thing else except a envelope of cash and a letter from me about how much I love her and how proud I am. In ds I would like to put the blankets,Bible with devotion book,a set of dishes and such,a book about the bond between Father and Son,family pics,a letter from his Dad,a nice tool set,the envelope with cash,the knife his great grandfather gave his Dad,....I just can't think of what else to put in them.We plan to burn their names into the chests and give it to them when they marry or move away from home. Sorry its so long but any ideas? Thanks. :-) oh and I know men usually don't receive Hope Chest but I think its a good way for him to start life with something and still feel connected with his home.
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Replies (11-20):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:22 PM
I think that is an awesome idea! I also think what you are putting in their hope chests is great!
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I love that idea!  I'll have to think about what else I'd put in

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I have all of my daughter's ballet costumes and eventually I want to take a piece of each and make into a quilt as well :)

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I really want to eventually make my kids scrap quilts out of pieces of things like sports tshirts and travel tshirts, things they have kept as momentos, I would like to incorporate into a quilt (but I don't know how to quilt, lol).

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I like the idea of recipes and baby clothes, also dishes and such. We have a lot handled down and never use them.

HappyHomestead
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

My mom put newspaper articles in ours from major news events as we grew up. She also put letters between her and dad while he was in military and in Korea. I love reading through the articles and the letters. I suggest those for sure.

teach.love.grow
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I have one letter dh wrote me 4 yrs ago confessing his love for me...the other letters arent really appropriate for our children to read lol

Quoting HappyHomestead:

My mom put newspaper articles in ours from major news events as we grew up. She also put letters between her and dad while he was in military and in Korea. I love reading through the articles and the letters. I suggest those for sure.

HappyHomestead
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:08 PM

LOL When I first saw the letters in there between them I wasn't too keen to open them. She had a couple where they were planning to buy a home. It was nice. I don't even want to know if she had steamy letters to hide for herself. lol

Quoting teach.love.grow:

I have one letter dh wrote me 4 yrs ago confessing his love for me...the other letters arent really appropriate for our children to read lol

Quoting HappyHomestead:

teach.love.grow
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Dh and I were long distance for the first year of our relationship we basically kept our relationship together with phone calls every day,the weekend visits and those letters.I love them all but I'm sure dh would die of embarassment if anyone else read them,especially our kids lmbo

Quoting HappyHomestead:

LOL When I first saw the letters in there between them I wasn't too keen to open them. She had a couple where they were planning to buy a home. It was nice. I don't even want to know if she had steamy letters to hide for herself. lol

Quoting teach.love.grow:

Quoting HappyHomestead:

HappyHomestead
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:35 PM

LOL I imagine so.

Quoting teach.love.grow:

Dh and I were long distance for the first year of our relationship we basically kept our relationship together with phone calls every day,the weekend visits and those letters.I love them all but I'm sure dh would die of embarassment if anyone else read them,especially our kids lmbo

Quoting HappyHomestead:

Quoting teach.love.grow:

Quoting HappyHomestead:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 30, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Oh what a great idea!  I am now saving all of DDs dance costumes!  I think we gave one away.  I won't give anymore away, lol. 

Quoting Pukalani79:

I have all of my daughter's ballet costumes and eventually I want to take a piece of each and make into a quilt as well :)

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I really want to eventually make my kids scrap quilts out of pieces of things like sports tshirts and travel tshirts, things they have kept as momentos, I would like to incorporate into a quilt (but I don't know how to quilt, lol).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)