Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT - What would you put in a Hope Chest for your son and daughter?

I want dh to build a Hope Chest,one for each of our kiddos.In my dd I want to put her crochet baby blankets and an adult size one I plan on crocheting,a really nice Bible with a devotional book, a book of recipes that are hand written family favorites,a set of dishes,pots and pans,a good fiction book possibly about the bond of mothers and daughters,family pics so she has some....I can't really think of any thing else except a envelope of cash and a letter from me about how much I love her and how proud I am. In ds I would like to put the blankets,Bible with devotion book,a set of dishes and such,a book about the bond between Father and Son,family pics,a letter from his Dad,a nice tool set,the envelope with cash,the knife his great grandfather gave his Dad,....I just can't think of what else to put in them.We plan to burn their names into the chests and give it to them when they marry or move away from home. Sorry its so long but any ideas? Thanks. :-) oh and I know men usually don't receive Hope Chest but I think its a good way for him to start life with something and still feel connected with his home.
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Replies (21-23):
Jenn8604
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 6:29 PM
I thought they were supposed to make their own bedding sets and dish towels, clothes, etc for it. that's what they did in the 1800's I only knew one person w a hope chest. She bought almost everything for herself as she didn't crochet, knit, or sew. i believe her mom made her one hand sewn quilt for it tho.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celticdragon77
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I have one for the two younger kids to share for now. It is their dads old wooden toybox. I need to get another trunk so that one can be my sons and my daughter has one of her own. Last year, I bought a vintage gypsy looking trunk for my oldest daughter.

I just put keepsakes in them. I LOVE finding little things to put together for them within it. I have no idea of what is supposed to go in them. 

oredeb
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:10 PM

different ways of doing it! we made up our own way, now we'll have to do it for grandkids! 

Quoting Jenn8604:

I thought they were supposed to make their own bedding sets and dish towels, clothes, etc for it. that's what they did in the 1800's I only knew one person w a hope chest. She bought almost everything for herself as she didn't crochet, knit, or sew. i believe her mom made her one hand sewn quilt for it tho.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)