Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

"I'm starting to think I want to go back to public school." --quoted my 9 yr old to my neighbor

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:56 PM
  • 14 Replies
3 moms liked this

Well, sorry, son.   It's not up to you.    We started homeschooling because of academics, social problems, behavior problems, religious reasons, etc...

Now, more than ever, your father and I are a hundred and twenty nine percent sold on homeschooling all the way up to college.

I need to find time to discuss this with him, though, because he said it for a reason.   I'd l ike to know a little from his heart why he feels this way.  

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
unsuspected
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:58 PM
I'm sorry about that.
oredeb
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:22 PM

did the neighbor tell you he said that? or did you hear him say that?

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Could have to do with the neighbor and what s/he said.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM
You're right. He did say that for a reason. You're also right to find out what his reason(s) for making that statement. Sometimes though, a statement like that from a youngster isn't what it sounds like or means. Do you have any clues as to why you think he said it?
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Aww good approach :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 30, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Let us know what he says when you talk to him about it!  I bet it was just an offhand comment, the neighbor goes to ps I assume?  Maybe the neighbor was talking about something fun they did, or really anything.  I wonder what the context was.

I do like that you will give him a chance to talk about it and maybe there is something simple you can do to make him happy with hsing (if for some reason he isn't), and that at the same time you don't let him make the decision :)

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Well, as for why he might be saying it???  He made a new friend this summer two doors down from us who goes to public school and has spent A LOT of time with him.   This little boy is really nice, but of course, thinks homeschooling would be boring and silly.   So, I think that has rubbed off.

As for how he said it?   We were coming back from a walk and my neighbor asked how it was going.   He piped up with the comment as I just said, "Pretty good, we decided on a walk first things this AM because it's going to be so hot later."   He piped up with it.   

He's also not happy right now with my declaration of their having a system of responsibilities this year.   I need time to work with the younger sibling, so he is transitioning to being required to do more little things on his own while I work with her.   If he does his independent things in the time they SHOULD be done... he would have 30-45 minutes of free time.   But he dawdles, which means he misses free time.   This is making him dislike schooling.   I'm unsure of whether to push for him to complete these important (short and easy) tasks, or redo the plan and allow him his space (and allow him to be lazy)...

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:08 PM

oh, I haven't actually TALKED with him yet, but I've been gathering these things recently from him.   I need to spend some quality 1-1 time with him and figure it out.   DH works 50-60 hours the next four days, though, so I'm pressed for finding that time.

celticdragon77
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:09 PM

It is important to get to the root of this. Homeschooling isn't worth it if it causes resentment between you both.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Thank you, I agree 100%.   I'm not really feeling resentment from him, at least not between us.   I don't have favorite kids, but he's always been the "mama's boy" type and clings to me all the time... LOL!   He's so sensative and sweet.    

I also expect there are things we do for education that aren't always fun and thrilling.  There are things we just NEED to do.   However, if his general idea is negative about school, then that needs to change.

However, it makes little sense, at least 7 times a day I say, "Let's do this now," and my son jumps up to grab his stuff and says, "Oh yeah!!! I love that part!!"

Quoting celticdragon77:

It is important to get to the root of this. Homeschooling isn't worth it if it causes resentment between you both.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)