Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i would love to hear the pros, cons

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM
  • 16 Replies

of homeschooling or not to homeschool!   my sister-in-law is worried that bc i have a prob learning that Elliot won't be able to learn to the fullest, she feels in no doubt that i would be able to homeschool him but she's just worried that he won't learn enough to make something of himself!   and she said college don't look kindly to homeschool kids! what are all your ladies thoughts on it i need as much info as i can get my hands on!  i am more then welling to learn more myself to be able to teach my son!  

by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Most children thrive with homeschooling. Many homeschooled children go on to college, and if they choose not to are successful. I wouldnt worry about what others think. Do what you believe is best for your children.
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Colleges are looking more and more at homeschoolers. I've been going straight to college websites and a lot of them even mention homeschoolers and what they need to get in, including Harvard. And for the most part it's not some over the top stuff we have to show. Yes, a homeschooler can go to college and "make something of themselves" if they so choose to do so.
Hoevegirl1986
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:44 AM

my mil said that most parnets don't homeschool after 4th grade that the kids do online schooling bc most parnets can't do the stuff that the kids do in school! like higher math what do you ladies think?

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I was homeschooled through 9th grade. My mom put my sisters and I in a small private school because she didn't feel she could teach Algebra. I told her recently she could have taught me better than I was taught there. If you do want to homeschool higher grades there are plenty of resources, whether you think you can straight up teach them, want to outsource certain subjects, or use an online program for them.

Quoting Hoevegirl1986:

my mil said that most parnets don't homeschool after 4th grade that the kids do online schooling bc most parnets can't do the stuff that the kids do in school! like higher math what do you ladies think?

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Er. No.

We belong to a large Catholic co-op. We have dozens and dozens of high school homeschoolers. Our sitter is a homeschooled high schooler from the co-op; she spent the summer touring colleges.

They do not use any online schools. My daughter is in brick and mortar right now (a private school) while I teach her little brothers at home, but she'll be coming BACK for high school (and we do not use online public schools).

And who can't do high school math?! I'm not proficient in it, because my *thing* in school was NOT math, but my husband spent many years in college, majoring in science related fields and can certainly do high school math. Most of the families in the co-op have college educated parents. I'm not sure where your mother is coming by her assertion that "most" parents can't "do" math above grade 4. Not in my world.

Quoting Hoevegirl1986:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 2:00 PM

My suggestion is to go ahead and listen to some one you trust voice their opinion once.   Remember two things...

1.  Opinions aren't fact... they can have some merit to what they say, but they aren't facts.  They could be wrong.   Make your own decisions.

2.  Once you've heard them out and decided to accept or reject what they are saying, don't let them keep harping on you because then they are just being rude.    Come out and tell them so if they don't listen the first few times you say it.  "Hey, sis, we've discussed this a few times, and I gotta say... I'm REALLY starting to feel you are just being rude and insulting about my decisions.   I did honestly listen to your opinion, but I feel differently than you, and I really am not interested in listening to how awful you think I will be as a teacher." 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Well, a gal at my church has been teaching her son trigonomitry.   I see her pouring over his textbooks.   She also teaches some higher maths in a co-op.

My eldest is a 6th grader, and I am using something this year that we watch a 10 minute video together and then she does the work.  I would happily teach it to her, except she doesn't need it.  LOL!   She is eager to do algebra, but she doesn't take her "work" seriously and makes so many sloppy mistakes.   Anyway, I fully plan to be totally hands-on with her maths.   I went through algebra 2, but my DH did trig and calculus in highschool and more.  If we can't understand something, we google it and learn it together.

Some parents DO use online stuff and all for that reason, though, so I can't discredit your mother in laws opinion completely.   I just don't think that she's correct using the word, "MOST..."

Quoting Hoevegirl1986:

Hoevegirl1986
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 2:15 PM

thank you ladies :)

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Learning has less to do with the teacher an more to do with a persons desire to learn. If you create an environment of learning, and make learning a lifestyle in your home, there is no reason your child can't do anything they want. There are numerous resources to help parents teach, and numerous ways for a child to learn to teach themselves.
mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 3:14 PM
School can't even teach my son with autism simple math. That's one reason I pulled him out from ps. I started teaching him non stop since May and now he loves math and if I let him...he will just do math the whole day.

I spent a lot of time and money to find the right way to teach him. Now, I will never put back to ps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)