Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

i would love to hear the pros, cons

Posted by   + Show Post

of homeschooling or not to homeschool!   my sister-in-law is worried that bc i have a prob learning that Elliot won't be able to learn to the fullest, she feels in no doubt that i would be able to homeschool him but she's just worried that he won't learn enough to make something of himself!   and she said college don't look kindly to homeschool kids! what are all your ladies thoughts on it i need as much info as i can get my hands on!  i am more then welling to learn more myself to be able to teach my son!  

by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Replies (11-16):
celticdragon77
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a learning disability - they only ever identified it as being related to ADHD, petite mal seizures, and that I was born addicted to drugs. I homeschool my kids just fine and I would tell anyone else to just piss off. You have to find your own pros and cons as well as finding inner strength and faith in yourself. I doubt few peoples ability to homeschool. Most people can accomplish far more than they ever give themselves credit for. So what if you don't know all of it ahead of time. One of the most fun things about homeschooling has been learning right beside my kids.

She is right about college and homeschool - in some places. In my state you simple can NOT gain admissions with a homeschool diploma. You have to have a state certified diploma or GED. College is not as elite as people want to make it seem (unless it is a ivy league college). If your kids want to go to college... they can go.

celticdragon77
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this

This site might interest you. It has some decent homeschool articles.

http://www.homeschooldiaries.com/25-homeschooling-truths-i-wish-id-known/

armygirl16
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Not true. I plan to homeschool all the way through high school. If there are subjects I don't think I can teach (trig or calculus) then she will take that class through a co-op or I will find a tutor.

Quoting Hoevegirl1986:

my mil said that most parnets don't homeschool after 4th grade that the kids do online schooling bc most parnets can't do the stuff that the kids do in school! like higher math what do you ladies think?

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM

In my opinion, homeschooling is academically, socially, emotionally, and spiritually best for any child.  The education is tailored right to the child and there's plenty of time for kids to be kids and pursue any and all of their interests.  Colleges are now seeking out homeschoolers because overall, they are self-sufficient, hard-working, and motivated. 

That said, homeschooling isn't for every family.  It becomes a challenge when social opportunities are very limited, when you aren't near many cultural or fun engaging activities (group events, field trips), or if a parent's work schedule conflicts with the time needed, or if it's just not something the parents want to or can do effectively.  And some parents really don't want to be with their kids all day.

Ecoseem
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

College looks quite fondly on homeschoolers! 

I hold the belief that a comfortable learning environment & an open mind is more helpful to learning that a teacher's education.  Let's face it, who really learns well when they're trapped in an uncomfortable seat, get in trouble for being distracted, and are removed from the basic human touch? 

RockEducation
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Excellent advice.good

Quoting celticdragon77:

I have a learning disability - they only ever identified it as being related to ADHD, petite mal seizures, and that I was born addicted to drugs. I homeschool my kids just fine and I would tell anyone else to just piss off. You have to find your own pros and cons as well as finding inner strength and faith in yourself. I doubt few peoples ability to homeschool. Most people can accomplish far more than they ever give themselves credit for. So what if you don't know all of it ahead of time. One of the most fun things about homeschooling has been learning right beside my kids.

She is right about college and homeschool - in some places. In my state you simple can NOT gain admissions with a homeschool diploma. You have to have a state certified diploma or GED. College is not as elite as people want to make it seem (unless it is a ivy league college). If your kids want to go to college... they can go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)