Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Haven't received my letter, should I be worried?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:33 PM
  • 9 Replies
I turned my notice and information into the school two Mondays ago.
We are in Ohio and the law says they are supposed to have their letter to us within two weeks. We have not received it.
Should I be concerned??
Is it my job to notify them if I haven't received it, can There be trouble from this?
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Also...My SIL notified the same day I did and hasn't gotten her letter either.
BrittO2
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I know here they are not sending letters out until October because they have "so many" to go through. 

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I'm in Mass with the same 2 week window. I mailed it Aug 1st and got the return receipt on Aug 8th. I knew I was sending it in last minute in their opinion. I called on Aug. 26th to the secretary and asked politely about it, saying "I realize this is the busiest time of year..." She started trying to tell me she never got it, then I mentioned the return reciept. Immediately she found it!  She said since it was received and in the pipeline, I could call the school and have him taken off the roster. I got my letter on Thursday, the Super had signed and dated it the 27th.

I was super paranoid I'd get some grief from them, esp. since our first day of school was the 28th and I had NO intention of sending my son. It was quite a load off to speak to the secretary and to actually get the letter! Am I a nut that I want to laminate it?? lol!

I had been assured by some fellow HSers I met that the letter would come and not to worry about not showing up on the first day of school. Another mom urged me to make the call. I'm glad I did. Obviously got them moving on it!

oahoah
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:57 PM

You should follow up with a phone call and document it, just to be safe.

celticdragon77
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:31 PM

DITTO! Life has taught me this...

Quoting oahoah:

You should follow up with a phone call and document it, just to be safe.

ambertreas76
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I'd give them a call.  Better to be safe than to have a visit from the superintendent of schools.  Here in Florida it's just a quick trip down to Alternative Ed for a stamp on a piece of paper or to hand in the yearly eval paperwork.  

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this
If you send it certified mail, you have proof they received it. It can't come back to bite you in the butt later.
WantedNameTaken
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I'm in Ohio and this is what I do as well.  I've never failed to receive a response within two weeks - probably because the date that they receive notification is documented by a third party - the Post Office.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

If you send it certified mail, you have proof they received it. It can't come back to bite you in the butt later.

lil_mama06
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:27 PM

HUGS Hope you get it soon...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN