Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Has your child ever gotten out of their carseat while you were driving?

Posted by   + Show Post

My neice who is 3 about gave me a heartattack. We were driving down the road and all the sudden I see her standing. I will probably get bashed I pulled over and tore her little hiney up. 

by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Replies (21-30):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:42 AM

My kids have never gotten out of a car seat. Maybe because we kept them in big harness seats with difficult buttons (Britax) for a long time. Now that they are all in boosters, my youngest will occasionally unbuckle as we are turning onto our street, and her siblings yell at her and tell her it's not safe. :) We live on a one-lane road with only a handful of houses, but she's the one who likes to TEST the limits all the time!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM

My oldest daughter did that several times. I almost wrecked one night. LOL

BlessedMoments
by Pamela on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:24 PM
One of my two year olds just started unbuckling himself! He did the other day and I did the same thing! I tore his butt up! It's better that his butt hurt for a few minutes than him get killed because he was unbuckled and I didn't realize it!
oredeb
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:27 PM

yes when they first started the seat belt law, that all cars had to have them, the first day it was in effect my son who was 2 decided to get out of his seat belt(didnt have to have car seats then) right at the stop sign right next to a cop. guess what i got!haahaha, no mercy! it was the first and only ticket ive ever gotten.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I have done the same.  My kids learned after the one time to never do it again.  That is the scariest feeling.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:25 PM
All of my kids have Houdinied themselves out of any and all car seats! Scared me to know end! We have gone through more than a dozen car seats and still they got out of them! Proper my tush! If a child is determined to get out of a car seat, then they will.

On another note that kind if bugs me is the "research" that says if you spank a child they come out dumb, or become more aggressive. Now I was spanked and beaten as I was growing up. Okay. Some of it was definitely uncalled for and was wrong! But some of it was deserved too. Now I am neither aggressive by nature or by nurture. I also have a higher than average IQ as well. I also know many many people just like me with the same type of background and they are neither aggressive or lower iq'd.

As for the results of such research, it is my humble opinion that the majority of today's kids' behavior patterns that speak quite loudly enough. We have more theft, more murder, more back sass, more outwardly negative attitude. Just a whole lot more of negativity than what we had nearly 50 years ago. We allow more disrespect to be shown in order to let kids be more expressive. To me, that has done way more harm than good. I am not saying that spanking is the have all end all punishment either. There is a happy medium. We just have to take the time to find it. Just like we do for homeschooling.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Oh and I will spank. As a last resort. When none of the other punishments or even lack of punishments, have not brought the desired positive results. Types of my punishments....
Standing in the corner for x amount of time.
Sit in a specific chair for x amount of time.
Loss of privileges.
Grounding.
Extra chores.
Early bedtime.
No friends over or over to friends house.
No special treats.
No special places.
Punishment fitting the crime.
I am sure that one or more of these ate going to offend someone and that isn't my intentions but I will parent to the best of My abilities, and if that is not to someone's liking, them okay. I am sure that I am not hip on a lot of other people's forms of punishment either and I am doing my best not to publicly judge anyone and would ask that same respect in return.

We do so well in this group to not bash and have petty arguments. Lets not start now, eh?

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

We really DON'T have more theft, murder, etc. Our technology has allowed us to confront those crimes more often than 50 years ago and it's certainly broadcast-ed more, thanks to technology.

As for back "sass" - I think it's simply a matter of more parents preferring their child have an opinion than to blindly follow any adult, simply because they exist as adults.

Quoting kirbymom:

All of my kids have Houdinied themselves out of any and all car seats! Scared me to know end! We have gone through more than a dozen car seats and still they got out of them! Proper my tush! If a child is determined to get out of a car seat, then they will.

On another note that kind if bugs me is the "research" that says if you spank a child they come out dumb, or become more aggressive. Now I was spanked and beaten as I was growing up. Okay. Some of it was definitely uncalled for and was wrong! But some of it was deserved too. Now I am neither aggressive by nature or by nurture. I also have a higher than average IQ as well. I also know many many people just like me with the same type of background and they are neither aggressive or lower iq'd.

As for the results of such research, it is my humble opinion that the majority of today's kids' behavior patterns that speak quite loudly enough. We have more theft, more murder, more back sass, more outwardly negative attitude. Just a whole lot more of negativity than what we had nearly 50 years ago. We allow more disrespect to be shown in order to let kids be more expressive. To me, that has done way more harm than good. I am not saying that spanking is the have all end all punishment either. There is a happy medium. We just have to take the time to find it. Just like we do for homeschooling.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Sorry. I think you rock and I think you're pretty awesome, but if something makes me feel physically ill (like this poster who, when you search her name, appears to talk very frequently about spanking (and exactly HOW she spanks), I'm going to speak up. Pettiness is subjective - and I don't find this petty.

Quoting kirbymom:

Oh and I will spank. As a last resort. When none of the other punishments or even lack of punishments, have not brought the desired positive results. Types of my punishments....
Standing in the corner for x amount of time.
Sit in a specific chair for x amount of time.
Loss of privileges.
Grounding.
Extra chores.
Early bedtime.
No friends over or over to friends house.
No special treats.
No special places.
Punishment fitting the crime.
I am sure that one or more of these ate going to offend someone and that isn't my intentions but I will parent to the best of My abilities, and if that is not to someone's liking, them okay. I am sure that I am not hip on a lot of other people's forms of punishment either and I am doing my best not to publicly judge anyone and would ask that same respect in return.

We do so well in this group to not bash and have petty arguments. Lets not start now, eh?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:23 PM
I will respectfully disagree on this part. We will probably never agree on this. :) that's okay too. I think our differing views are what help us give good advice and help others or each other, when needed.
As for technology, it has its advantages and its disadvantages. It's negatives and its positives.

The part about "sass" is a little deeper for me than just blindly following an adult just because they are an adult. I'm talking about a parent letting them tell them they don't like (whatever) and will not do it or will disregard it or something to that effect. A tone of voice is so very important with communication most times. It isn't what you say as opposed to HOW you say it that will make the majority of difference. Expressing an opinion is one thing, but giving an attitude while saying something is entirely different. THAT is what I am referring to. That is what has gotten confused and out if hand. All in the name if expression.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

We really DON'T have more theft, murder, etc. Our technology has allowed us to confront those crimes more often than 50 years ago and it's certainly broadcast-ed more, thanks to technology.

As for back "sass" - I think it's simply a matter of more parents preferring their child have an opinion than to blindly follow any adult, simply because they exist as adults.

Quoting kirbymom:All of my kids have Houdinied themselves out of any and all car seats! Scared me to know end! We have gone through more than a dozen car seats and still they got out of them! Proper my tush! If a child is determined to get out of a car seat, then they will.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)