Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Whats on your lesson plan this week?

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM
  • 29 Replies
We are learning about: George Washington Geology: Volcanoes and mountains Multiplication Book of Exodus Also a bit of spelling, free reading and cursive writing (Ds10)
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MotoStar
by Echo on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

This week we are:

Comparing and Ordering numbers in Math

Reading more non-fiction articles for Literature

Spelling, Handwriting and Writing Skills

Archaeology

Self Portrait in Art

Dental Health

Observation and Recording data in Science

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM

DS4

Math: coins, skip counting by 5's and 10's; review skip counting by 2's; 2 more/2 less (addition/subtraction with manipulatives)

Phonics: CVC word blends

Literature: Madeline

Geography: (tied into literature) France

Religion: God's Love Story and related days of creation craft. continue working to memorize the Hail Mary, work on more fluidity when making the Sign of the Cross.

Music: Listen and free sing/dance (using Making Music/Praying Twice - we're waiting on our "instruments" to arrive so we can really dive into this!)

Handwriting: Aa, Bb, Cc, Dd, name

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:44 AM

We're taking a break.  It's my version of a mental health day (or week).  :)

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Trig: 2 lessons/day.

Lit: Intro to Shakespeare, watch Midsummer Night's Dream, Sh. language.

Comp: Begin SAT Essay course

Econ: Lessons 4-7 in Naked Economics, Intro to Stock Market Game

Spanish: Continue review with Mango Online

Latin: Do-over! We're going to try to get this on schedule and officially start again this week w/Lesson 1.

Astronomy: At CC.

kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Math: Addition/Subtraction review

English: Nouns, possessives and compound words

History: The Assyrians

Science: finish up Electricity and review what we learned

Social Studies: Being a good Citizen and more about our state

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 1, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Our first day is Tuesday!!

Math: mostly review-DS11 will be starting pre algebra so I want to make sure he is really ready, and DD10-we need to make sure she is ready for 5th grade math (or skip some if she is further along than I thought!)

English: verbs, paragraph structure, note taking/outlining practice

History: starting with Ancients, this week will really be the beginning

Science: Getting their mini experiements ready to go to space with the PongSat program, writing a hypothesis and setting up their experiment here as well to have a control

Bible: Beginning the book of Luke..

Sign Language: Starting the alphabet and coming up with name signs for the kids, and learning some basic words (and, I, the...)

Art: just drawing a bit, I think we will start an artist of the month next week (unless I can get that together today or tomorrow).

Music: Choosing a website for piano lessons, and for DS guitar lessons as well (and same thing as artist above but with a composer)

Typing: dancemat typing 2x this week

Critical Thinking: reading Logic to the Rescue, and playing some logic games on the iPad or worksheets

I'm hoping this week goes somewhat smoothly as we work our way into the hsing world :)

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM

We are working on an extra large lap book project on the 50 states.  In that they are learning about history as well as geography.  They are working on cursive handwritting as all answers are written in cursive.  They have a little art involved as they have to draw me a picture that represents something about that state.  They are also both reading a Junie B. book and will be taking comprehension tests on those as well.  We are going to throw a little science in by learning about the solar system.  I have friend that is going to help me.  I will start them off with the Magic School Bus video and he will take it from there.  They are really excited because at the end of it we will make a solar system to go with it.  They are also working on math facts.  I have one working on her addition facts and the other is doing multiplication. 

Who says that learning can't happen without a curriculum or a plan completely in place.  It is totally working at the moment.  I have one child that wants to do a little research on animals that she has read about being native to certain states....child led learning at its finest.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Adding/subtracting decimals, fractions

Mapwork( North America)

comparing different types of fault lines, classifying volcanoes

Poetry

Bible (unknown, as that's Hubby's department and he comes up with that as he goes)

This week will be a bit scattered, Labor Day and our wedding anniversary in the same week means we probably won't follow the schedule as closely.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Our first day is Tuesday as well.  We will be taking a step back in Math.  She can "count" to 100 already but we need her to stop counting and be able to easily see groups of 5 without couting for RightStart Math and the abacus. So we'll work on that.

For reading I have some puzzles and games and several I Can Read books.

We're using handwriting without tears and will work on grip, and building letters with wood pieces and roll a dough letters.

For science we're using Real Science for Kids Physics and will do an experiement about objects falling.

We'll attend Music Class on Wed.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM

We mostly just go with the next lesson in the curriculum for each subject.   Although, they follow their own interests and desires to work on other projects sometimes, I still mostly rely on curriculum.

We got through our English books only halfway last year, so for a few weeks, I'm flipping through the pages, orally discussing and quizzing them on stuff.   If they don't remember it well, we do some of the written work, too.  It's perfectly fine because I got their stuff off ebay at a steal of a price, and they were actually each 1 grade ahead of where they were, so we didn't push to finish it anyway.   So, technically, they are ahead.   It's nice to not finish something and still be ahead, huh?

For math, they moved backward because they switched to Math U See which is mastery based and not grade level based, so I guess they are getting a review before they get into the stuff they don't know.   That's cool, though, cuz it's so easy for my son that he completes an entire weeks worth of lessons every day or two.  

In social studies, we have Rod and Staff Homelands of North America that we just started, and the kids have enjoyed discussing the geography of NA and tracing and creating maps.   We've done a US map and Canada map so far.   We would like to move to 2-3 lessons a week in this next week instead.

In bible, we practice our Junior Bible Quiz quotes and questions... work on earning badges at church... have daily quiet time, and I want to start reading about the history of missions and planning and working on a missions project that maybe they can present to the church.   We also read a variety of Christian based fiction, too and read the bible.

Science?  We started Apologia Anatomy at the end of last week and the kids are ELATED.   We will continue with that including an experiment with mummifying fruit, creating a very detailed edible cell with jello and lots of candy (sure, why not, I'm trying to weed it all out of our system, but lets have fun with this "last" experiment first!)

Ok, I can't just answer anyone on this sight with one or two sentences... can I?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)