Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Whats on your lesson plan this week?

We are learning about: George Washington Geology: Volcanoes and mountains Multiplication Book of Exodus Also a bit of spelling, free reading and cursive writing (Ds10)
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Replies (11-20):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM

It typically takes me 8 paragraphs to answer on CM as well.  I can spend so much time on here.  I am going to have to use parental blockers to somehow block CM during school hours.

Quoting KrissyKC:

We mostly just go with the next lesson in the curriculum for each subject.   Although, they follow their own interests and desires to work on other projects sometimes, I still mostly rely on curriculum.

We got through our English books only halfway last year, so for a few weeks, I'm flipping through the pages, orally discussing and quizzing them on stuff.   If they don't remember it well, we do some of the written work, too.  It's perfectly fine because I got their stuff off ebay at a steal of a price, and they were actually each 1 grade ahead of where they were, so we didn't push to finish it anyway.   So, technically, they are ahead.   It's nice to not finish something and still be ahead, huh?

For math, they moved backward because they switched to Math U See which is mastery based and not grade level based, so I guess they are getting a review before they get into the stuff they don't know.   That's cool, though, cuz it's so easy for my son that he completes an entire weeks worth of lessons every day or two.  

In social studies, we have Rod and Staff Homelands of North America that we just started, and the kids have enjoyed discussing the geography of NA and tracing and creating maps.   We've done a US map and Canada map so far.   We would like to move to 2-3 lessons a week in this next week instead.

In bible, we practice our Junior Bible Quiz quotes and questions... work on earning badges at church... have daily quiet time, and I want to start reading about the history of missions and planning and working on a missions project that maybe they can present to the church.   We also read a variety of Christian based fiction, too and read the bible.

Science?  We started Apologia Anatomy at the end of last week and the kids are ELATED.   We will continue with that including an experiment with mummifying fruit, creating a very detailed edible cell with jello and lots of candy (sure, why not, I'm trying to weed it all out of our system, but lets have fun with this "last" experiment first!)

Ok, I can't just answer anyone on this sight with one or two sentences... can I?

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I saw some neat hundreds chart activities that involved skip counting.   I don't have the websites, but there are a ton of ideas on sights like pinterest.

My kid is still struggling to count in the teens and 20's... once I get her a little solid on these, I'm moving onto hundreds charts, number lines, and skip counting.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

Our first day is Tuesday as well.  We will be taking a step back in Math.  She can "count" to 100 already but we need her to stop counting and be able to easily see groups of 5 without couting for RightStart Math and the abacus. So we'll work on that.

For reading I have some puzzles and games and several I Can Read books.

We're using handwriting without tears and will work on grip, and building letters with wood pieces and roll a dough letters.

For science we're using Real Science for Kids Physics and will do an experiement about objects falling.

We'll attend Music Class on Wed.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I got the art curriculum together thanks to Confessions of a Homeschooler and her free World's Greatest Artists Volume 1!  We will be doing an artist every two weeks instead of every four (I think).

So this week we are starting Picasso :)

Now if I can just get the composer curriculum going...

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 1, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Getting ready for vacation!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:53 AM
2 moms liked this

I had just made a resolution to get my art program on track, so thanks for posting that!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I got the art curriculum together thanks to Confessions of a Homeschooler and her free World's Greatest Artists Volume 1!  We will be doing an artist every two weeks instead of every four (I think).

MammaG08
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Math - counting circles

Language Arts - letter k

Science - the 5 senses

Social Studies - a "me" timeline

Bible - daily devotionals, prayer of the week, why God made us

Foreign Language - memorize 2 words a day from the Maltese language

Morning board and today chart each day.  We are doing Kindergarten this year.  :-)

MammaG08
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

DS4

Math: coins, skip counting by 5's and 10's; review skip counting by 2's; 2 more/2 less (addition/subtraction with manipulatives)

Phonics: CVC word blends

Literature: Madeline

Geography: (tied into literature) France

Religion: God's Love Story and related days of creation craft. continue working to memorize the Hail Mary, work on more fluidity when making the Sign of the Cross.

Music: Listen and free sing/dance (using Making Music/Praying Twice - we're waiting on our "instruments" to arrive so we can really dive into this!)

Handwriting: Aa, Bb, Cc, Dd, name

What curriculum are you using for religion, or did you create it yourself? I ordered something from Seton, but I still need more. Your religion lessons sound like what I want to do! Also, are you using any certain music program? Thanks so much for sharing!
MammaG08
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Thanks for sharing that link!   I just downloaded mine for free too.  :-)

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I use Seton's recs for memorization of prayers (although really, it's just common sense to keep to the short prayers at this age), otherwise I'm NOT using a formal religion curriculum - understanding some of the things in the curriculum I had on hand (Image of God) was completely over his head and he wasn't interested.

So...

I ordered God's Love Story (Catholic Heritage Curriculum) and My Jesus and I (I think CHC carries this too - I know Seton has this book), Little Acts of Grace, a Catholic children's picture Bible... and then I look up corresponding activities to go with (online - great blogs out there!).

Using the picture books I mentioned above, and crafts, with exposure and memorization is working MUCH better than the formal curriculum for my son.

For music we use "Making Music, Praying Twice" - it's amazing. We bought the curriculum and my FIL (a music teacher and music shoppe owner) is sending us the random *other* things the curriuclum suggests (shaky eggs, tamborines, bells, noise blocks, etc).

Quoting MammaG08:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

DS4

Math: coins, skip counting by 5's and 10's; review skip counting by 2's; 2 more/2 less (addition/subtraction with manipulatives)

Phonics: CVC word blends

Literature: Madeline

Geography: (tied into literature) France

Religion: God's Love Story and related days of creation craft. continue working to memorize the Hail Mary, work on more fluidity when making the Sign of the Cross.

Music: Listen and free sing/dance (using Making Music/Praying Twice - we're waiting on our "instruments" to arrive so we can really dive into this!)

Handwriting: Aa, Bb, Cc, Dd, name

What curriculum are you using for religion, or did you create it yourself? I ordered something from Seton, but I still need more. Your religion lessons sound like what I want to do! Also, are you using any certain music program? Thanks so much for sharing!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM

For our youngest (2nd):  3s times tables and Abacus; Writing (Writing with Ease using cursive) and Spelling; Memorizing a poem; History (officially ancient people of the Americas, although he keeps wanting to read about the Romans); Violin; Japanese/Spanish/Hebrew. Plus Violin and Art History/Studio.

Oldest (High School): AP Spanish; AP Music Theory; Starting Alg. II; Aeneid; Beginning of writing class; Japanese (for JLPT); Sig Figs and unit conversation for Chemistry.  Plus Piano and Flute and some Art History/Studio.

Middle (7th):  One Year Adventure Novel for writing; Spelling; Beginning literature (Westing Game and reading Treasure Island); Saxon Pre-Alg.; Japanese/Spanish; Electrical Circuits; History.  Plus Violin and Art History/Studio.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)