Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Our First Day! (pic heavy!)

Posted by   + Show Post

We weren't going to start until tomorrow, but it was a rainy day and I didn't have to work and we had no other plans, so we just jumped in :)  We worked from about 9-1:30 with a lunch break and some other short breaks.  Then the kids played for a bit, then we went to Barnes and Nobles to turn in their summer reading logs and they each got a free book :) 

We got Chinese takeout for dinner on our way home.  They told Dad about their day and then watched a movie for a bit and now they are sound asleep.  It was a pretty good day.  I realized I do have some work to do with DS11 and trying to make him take me seriously, and to not freak out when I ask him to do something horrible (like write ONE paragraph)!

Here are some pictures of our day :)  (please don't judge the decor-we live with my MIL, lol..our tastes are very different!)

This was actually yesterday, "just for fun"...little do they know how much they were learning ;)

Spelling

Typing

Math

History

Writing (which was soooo horrible)

Critical Thinking (learning how to do Sudoku, but with pictures) She actually enjoyed it much more than it looks like she did int his picture!

There was more too, I just didn't get pictures of every single thing! And they both did all of the subjects, except DS also did some computer coding.

I can't believe how easy it was to completely overtake the dining room table with our school stuff.  I didn't realize how much we would spread out, even when I tried to keep the books we weren't using in another spot...lol

Also, having the school bookshelf upstairs and mostly schooling downstairs is not going to work out well.  I have no idea how many times all of us went up and down the stairs today! 

It was great to finally get started and things went pretty smoothly.  My lesson planning seems to have paid off (knock on wood so that doesn't change)!

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
marrionsmommy
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Lol!  Well, I sell them, so if you really want one let me know :)

Quoting marrionsmommy:Omg I want that hat lol

I wish my son would never wear one...unless you can make a sonic the hedgehog one *hint *hint lol....seriously he will only wear sonic hats hates anything on his head but will concede to wearing sonic hats..lweird kid I know lol

julesjerry
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

wow, that was quite impressing

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I found a picture of an adorable Sonic one, but I can't find a pattern so I would have to make it up.  I tend to be able to do that ok (I did it with the elephant) but it takes time, lol.  I'll see if I can get one together and I'll let you know.  It would be fun to make!

Quoting marrionsmommy:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Lol!  Well, I sell them, so if you really want one let me know :)

Quoting marrionsmommy:Omg I want that hat lol

I wish my son would never wear one...unless you can make a sonic the hedgehog one *hint *hint lol....seriously he will only wear sonic hats hates anything on his head but will concede to wearing sonic hats..lweird kid I know lol

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for sharing all the fabulous pictures of your day!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

You guys look like you had a good day!  Congrats!!!

oredeb
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

yea!!! love the pictures!

TidewaterClan
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Those are fantastic pics! What a great 1st day.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow. What an awesome, rockin' first day!
Great looking kids and great pics.

Oh, btw, I can see how your son absolutely hates writing. I have a couple of kids(boys) that don't like to write either! Lol. Does your daughter like to write?
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this
He actually cried when I told him he needed to write a descriptive paragraph. Ok, teary eyed, but still, he's 11 and really bright! He's a natural speller and has a huge vocabulary. But anything the slightest bit creative is horrible for him!

DD loves to tell stories, and I think if she was a better speller she would write all the time! But since she is not a good speller, and so even she has a hard time reading what she wrote, she doesn't write often. I'm really hoping to build her spelling skills by focusing more on the "rules" and then I think she will be a great writer. She definitely has great stories and is really creative.

Quoting kirbymom:

Oh, btw, I can see how your son absolutely hates writing. I have a couple of kids(boys) that don't like to write either! Lol. Does your daughter like to write?

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Oh, and thank you for the compliments, I certainly think they are beautiful children ;)

Quoting kirbymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN