Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Learning inspired movies?

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:20 PM
  • 7 Replies

Do you have any recommendations for learning inspired movies.

For instance, The Phantom Tollbooth. While I can read it to them, since they are so young, I think watching it and seeing how important learning is and how learning can be fun, would get the point across to them.

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:10 PM

We watched a National Geographic movie on Alaska and the Denali National Park and my kids are all inspired to learn about Alaska today. 

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never read that book! I think I need to find a copy of it!

Kat0038
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM

My kids are young so magic school bus, kratt brothers, chirp and the big wide world

FootballFan12
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM

It is a cute movie but a really great book. I read it and seen the movie when I was around 8 or 9.

Quoting usmom3:

I have never read that book! I think I need to find a copy of it!

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM

If I thought long enough I could probably come up with 100 or so. :) But I'll just post the ones we've used so far this semester. These are all on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

The Ballad of Lucy Whipple - my oldest is learning about American history from 1810-1870 this semester. This is a good wholesome (but entertaining) story about a young girl and her pioneer family (I believe it's a Hallmark movie).

Discovery Atlas - we just watch this at night sometimes as a family. It's a great introduction to various cultures and people. 

How the Universe Works - see above

National Geographic Amazing planet - see above ;)

National Geographic Lewis & Clark - we actually watched this at the end of last semester (we ended at the time of L&C). We would read a chapter of a book about them, then watch 15-20 min of the documentary, per day. 

The Agony & The Ecstasy - we actually only watched the first 25 minutes or so, as an introduction to Michelangelo.

Alexandria - history of Egypt

Life is Beautiful - we actually just finished this one today. I think it was a great introduction (or re-introduction) to the Nazis and WWII for young children, because while it does show what it was like & the reality of the brutality, there is no bloodshed, and the overriding story of the dad and his sweet affection for his little boy are the real story. My children absolutely loved it - I was very surprised! We watched it in 30 minute segments because I had to read some of the longer subtitles aloud - they went by too fast for my 1st and 2nd graders.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:19 PM

My kids are really young and sitting in front of some Pim video on French. (DH speaks French them).  I also have a ton of the preschool prep videos, they're loving the blends and digraphs videos.  We also recently checked out a video about Bolivia from the library, I think it was called Countries aroud the world, it was very much a kid version.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM

We've been watching the Wild Kratts.  But beyond that we love documentaries. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)