Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

what do you do...

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:02 PM
  • 14 Replies

What do you do on days when your child (ren). Just don't want to work. My dd today was on Time 4 learning and decided she didn't know how to do something she has done a billion times. Ugh it drives me nuts and I don't know how to deal with it. Should I punish her or just ignore it

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:09 PM
4 moms liked this

It really depends on where I think it is coming from. Everyone has an off day. If one of my kids seems to just not be connecting, I first ask myself if it is that. Sometimes, I don't feel like doing my work, either, you know? On those days, I try to cut it short with dignity and maybe take a nature walk or do some kitchen Science.

If I feel it is coming from a place of misbehavior, we dig in and get it done.

TidewaterClan
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Science is a reward at our house so if things get grouchy during math (usually where it hits) I just ask that dd shows my she understands the concept & we move on to a lab.
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I handle that the same way I handle any other task that isn't getting done. My ds is nearly eleven and still swears he doesn't know how to fold laundry. Some days he forgets how to add decimals. I just gently remind him that he has to get it done, encourage him to figure it out, and help him if he really needs it. Sometimes I have to remember that when he's asking for help on things I know he knows, he may just really be asking me to just focus on him one on one. So we do it together for a bit just to get him going, then I leave him to it. If it still doesn't get done, then he has consequences. Its really all about his attitude. If he's being snotty, then the consequences happen sooner LOL.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I would say instead of punishment I would try some kind of reward system instead.

My DD does stuff like that when she's mastered something and is bored with it. It's like she's saying...next!!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM
I agree with mem.
Trust your instincts. You know in your heart what the answers are. If you find that the behavior is from cheekiness, then use short timed punishments. Immediate consequences. But if you find it is other than that, then make short work of the normal school day and do something else.

Quoting mem82:

It really depends on where I think it is coming from. Everyone has an off day. If one of my kids seems to just not be connecting, I first ask myself if it is that. Sometimes, I don't feel like doing my work, either, you know? On those days, I try to cut it short with dignity and maybe take a nature walk or do some kitchen Science.

If I feel it is coming from a place of misbehavior, we dig in and get it done.

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Play games in stead!
oredeb
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:34 PM

i agree with mem,

and maybe she just needs some time off the computer

did you just start up homeschooling?

gummibear
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:27 AM

This is our third year. We spent the 1st year trying to find what fit, tryed k12 it didn't work out so we did the rest of the year unschooling and trying to get it together. Last year we did more of a scheduled learning and used all different things. This is the first time we are using a computer based program since k12 and she thinks the the characters are "stupid and annoying" so I think that makes her not like the program as a whole and so she is not giving it a chance. She is 9, and doesn't like to sit still for long, but she was only on T4L for about 5 minutes. I just hate to spend all her math time on worksheets. We started MEP for math, but i want to add in some interactive stuff with it. Anyways Thanks everyone.

Quoting oredeb:

i agree with mem,

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:53 AM

As a side note, my older two didn't last long on T4L either.    In the younger grades, the social studies and science stuff was interesting.   As they got older, it started just being a book on the screen and they would rather sit in a bean bag chair and read out of actual book boxes.

My eldest, pretty smart in math, struggled with the math because it hit a concept and left it so fast.   There was really very little retention, and yet, it was slow and drawn out in places so she got to the point she would arrow forward, skip the instructions, and try to do it on her own... then not remember how to do it.   Also, if she didn't get how they explained it, we had to go google stuff because there was no way of getting them to explain it better.  All you could do was re-watch the same stuff that you didn't understand the first time.

All of that being said, I've used it as a supplement to help my kids get all of their 1000 hours in without having to "deep teach" every moment.   I also used it when I lost a baby, relocated, took a full time overnight job, got pregnant, relocated again... all within about an 16 month period.   T4L really helped me get through that time.   I would just create reading boxes based on the subjects they were learning and added in an English/Grammar lesson.   It was really a terrific help that year.

It's a big help THIS year, too, because my Kindergarten child is uh... well.. she is a challenge to teach.   However, she can actually pay attention to the computer.   So, I work with her for about an hour... then let her do T4L while I work with the others.   I don't NEED her to complete it, to do it in any order, to score anything at all.   It's strictly for her to do and learn from.   I'm pretty hands off with it, and it helps because everything with my dear oppositional child is always a battle.

Quoting gummibear:

This is our third year. We spent the 1st year trying to find what fit, tryed k12 it didn't work out so we did the rest of the year unschooling and trying to get it together. Last year we did more of a scheduled learning and used all different things. This is the first time we are using a computer based program since k12 and she thinks the the characters are "stupid and annoying" so I think that makes her not like the program as a whole and so she is not giving it a chance. She is 9, and doesn't like to sit still for long, but she was only on T4L for about 5 minutes. I just hate to spend all her math time on worksheets. We started MEP for math, but i want to add in some interactive stuff with it. Anyways Thanks everyone.

Quoting oredeb:

i agree with mem,

gummibear
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Have you tryed abcmouse.com my 5yr old loves it for Kindergarten. It is only 7.95 a month.

Quoting KrissyKC:

It's a big help THIS year, too, because my Kindergarten child is uh... well.. she is a challenge to teach.   However, she can actually pay attention to the computer.   So, I work with her for about an hour... then let her do T4L while I work with the others.   I don't NEED her to complete it, to do it in any order, to score anything at all.   It's strictly for her to do and learn from.   I'm pretty hands off with it, and it helps because everything with my dear oppositional child is always a battle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)