Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Read this on FB

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM
  • 19 Replies
2 moms liked this

This shows up in my facebook feed 

"Nothing against people who home school but wen ur kid goes off to college u should prolly watch them because they become worldly fast because they aren't use to the pressures and people who do bad things. Maybe most don't but I have witnessed so many it's not even funny please parents who home school be there for your kids and help them open up before they do something they are gonna regret the rest of their lives... "

and the worst part...6 adults have already clicked like. I am almost sure it is directed at me because I post a lot of homeschool things on facebook. I'm not shocked at who posted it, but I am shocked at how many believed/agreed with it! Many of them were family!

Seriously, home schooled kids are not unprepared for college.

"The task of giving education is rooted in the primary vocation of married couples to participate in God's creative activity..." Pope John Paul II

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambertreas76
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:17 AM
5 moms liked this

Maybe the person who decided to be ignorant without researching the psychological and social studies done on homeschooling should do some study on grammar and the phonetic English language. Hopefully this person who wrote the FB post is not homeschooling their children.... hopefully they don't have children.   

BlessedMoments
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM
That's terrible! Whoever wrote this definitely needs to do some research. Unfortunately, this is the general belief when it comes to homeschoolers! I hear it all the time!
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

They clicked like to a comment chalked full of spelling, grammar and punctuation errors, written more than likely by a person that went to public school.  I so would have pointed that out too, but I'm evil no denying it stick out tongue mini

I wouldn't waste the energy being upset over another person's viewpoint.  Everybody has their own reasons for believing what they do, and really the best way to prove a person wrong is through your actions. 

I know a lot of homeschool children, myself and included that had no issues going through college and getting our degrees.  If anything I find that most homeschoolers are better prepared for college than those that went to an institutional school.  College is less structured allows the students to choose their schedules, learn at their pace and expects that they can teach themselves a certain percentage of the work; those are all qualities taught early on to most homeschoolers.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
At least when my kids are adults they will know that "prolly, wen, ur, u" are not real words and they will not use them when trying to sound like they know what they are talking about.

I take stuff like that with a grain of salt because if someone can't even spell words properly or use proper English then they probably have no idea what the consequences, etc, are for homeschoolers..or any other group of people.

It's annoying, but don't take it to heart. You are doing the right thing for your family and that's all that matters. I, personally, would make a comment about that not always being true, and that it's obvious most public schooled kids can't spell or speak proper English. I would also say something about being happy my middle schoolers don't know about "worldly things"...maybe they are sheltered, but is it so bad to have a middle schooler not know about things like drugs, sex, rape, etc?
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I would post the study's that show homeschoolers are more prepared for the real world then public or privet schooled children!

celticdragon77
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Their English was atrocious - and not prepared for college. It cheapens their opinions of homeschoolers beyond how cheap I would have found those opinions to begin with.  

MotoStar
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:27 PM
2 moms liked this

My 7 year old uses better grammar and etiquette.

celticdragon77
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM

They (the adult) might actually learn something if they homeschooled. So my opinion is that they need to homeschool... even if it is just homeschooling themselves.

Quoting ambertreas76:

Maybe the person who decided to be ignorant without researching the psychological and social studies done on homeschooling should do some study on grammar and the phonetic English language. Hopefully this person who wrote the FB post is not homeschooling their children.... hopefully they don't have children.   

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

They seem to think all homeschoolers are keeping their kids "protected" from "the real world." Um, no, not all. LOL

My girl tells me she was far more prepared and respectful of the professors than any of her public or private schooled peers.

ambertreas76
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:38 PM

HA!!  You may be right my dear!

Quoting celticdragon77:

They (the adult) might actually learn something if they homeschooled. So my opinion is that they need to homeschool... even if it is just homeschooling themselves.

Quoting ambertreas76:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)