Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

This shows up in my facebook feed 

"Nothing against people who home school but wen ur kid goes off to college u should prolly watch them because they become worldly fast because they aren't use to the pressures and people who do bad things. Maybe most don't but I have witnessed so many it's not even funny please parents who home school be there for your kids and help them open up before they do something they are gonna regret the rest of their lives... "

and the worst part...6 adults have already clicked like. I am almost sure it is directed at me because I post a lot of homeschool things on facebook. I'm not shocked at who posted it, but I am shocked at how many believed/agreed with it! Many of them were family!

Seriously, home schooled kids are not unprepared for college.

"The task of giving education is rooted in the primary vocation of married couples to participate in God's creative activity..." Pope John Paul II

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Replies (11-19):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I'm sure there are the oddball cases where the children were severely sheltered (we actually know a family at church who homeschools their large # of children and they are, in our opinion, over-sheltering big time... like, they don't even play with  neighbors, do no extra-curricular activities, even have their piano teacher come to their house rather than going out) - but these aren't the norm any more. And some kids are just not ready for college and living on their own at 18, whether they were homeschooled or not. 

The adults I know who were homeschooled all did very well in college, mainly because they developed an actual desire to learn - not just for the sake of the credits or the degree, but just for the joy of learning something new. They were also more sure of what field they wanted to study and chose it out of interest rather than earning potential (which may explain why so many of them are unemployed moms with philosophy degrees... but they are happy : ) ).

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow, I wasn't aware that you personally knew very many home-educated college students. Are you discussing a specific family, or just making a generalization?
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM

SMH LOL

Ecoseem
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

That's what I was thinking while reading that too, my goodness.

Quoting ambertreas76:

Maybe the person who decided to be ignorant without researching the psychological and social studies done on homeschooling should do some study on grammar and the phonetic English language. Hopefully this person who wrote the FB post is not homeschooling their children.... hopefully they don't have children.   

"Parent" is a verb.

kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM

LOL, I find people who try to give an opinion on something they know something about funny.  I'm not worried about my kid giving into peer pressure and doing stupid shit because he was homeschooled.  PS kids go to college and go just as nuts.  I think HS kids have an advantage in that they already know how to schedule their school time, they are used to having a flexible schedule and are taught how to teach themselves.  So they have the academics side covered. 

marrionsmommy
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Umm I went to public school, magnet school, and even a summer college program. I went BUCKWILD when I got to school lol...I had no idea what to do...school taught me that someone would expect u to do homework and hold yr hand and call yr parents if u didnt go to class. In college u have none of that. My son is homeschooled and at 6 he knows I expect stuff to get done but if he doesnt do it he gets the grade not me so im not holding his hand. He will be wayyy better prepared than I ever was.
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I swear, what cracks me up is that people think homeschooled children are kept under a rock or chained to the wall until college.  My kids are OUT THERE all the time - on sports teams, in clubs, hanging out with friends, and even going to dances.  My kids are popular, street wise, and live in the real world - unlike schooled kids locked up in a government building for 35 hours a week.  They never stand out from the crowd.  No one would ever guess they were homeschooled because they don't fit the sterotype.  The only difference, is that my kids were raised to stand up for what they believe in, be a REAL person, not to follow the crowd, and be a good friend.  They are more than ready to handle college and more than likely, come out a better person than their peer-pressure-filled friends.  Please. 

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Gross. Perhaps, had the poster been homeschooled, she/he would have a better command of the language.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Sounds like someone was letting their own guilt about their own lives, do their talking for them and misplacing it where it doesn't belong as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)