Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Why I Do NOT Care About Teaching My Toddler about Letters, Shapes and Colors

Posted by   + Show Post

I thought this was good & wanted to share it with all of you! CLICK TO READ

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Replies (11-20):
mommy4lyf
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM
I agree. Growing up in a third world country, I've witnessed a 4 year old cooking rice while carrying a younger sibling on her back. She doesn't know her ABC's but she can feed her sibling.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Lol - yet another place I disagree with the author on.

Don't worry. Your kiddos will do great.

Quoting hwblyf:

Whereas I got bummed because I am having a slew of difficult days and my kids' personalities are basically set by the time they're 7 so I've totally screwed them up and they're going to have a tough time changing and getting it right themselves cuz they had me as a mom, who is not patient or awesome like the author.  But that's just the place I'm in right now.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I didn't take that from the article, I suppose. Like another poster, it read to me that academics shouldn't get any place on the priority pole. Given, this could be because the author appears to be more of an unschooler and I'm definitely not, so I may have misinterpreted it with a sour taste in my mouth ;)

Quoting hwblyf:

But from what you've posted in the past, we also know that you focus on character/empathy/humanity with your children.  And I think, from my take on the post, that she was saying those are the things we should be emphasizing, not simply knowledge.  You guys get to do it all.  :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Meh. I disagree with her.

We have a blast with those "abstract" concepts and information (as she refers to them).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

collinsmommy0
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this
A fb 'friend' posted this on her wall the other day.

She works 8-3, but her child is in day care 7am-5:45pm........so her child will get academic instruction from her day care (her child is 2.5).

She also posts all about organic food but shops at Costco and always offers us processed crap like cheese balls when we visit.

In other words, I think she is annoying & a hypocrite.

The article is okay, but I would be concerned if a child started public kindergarten not knowing letters & number concepts.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM
5 moms liked this

I just try to teach it all and I don't see why any one can't. I try to teach them to be good people, and I try to add in some school learning in it. *shrug* I'm not one to care if my 18 month old knows a flashcard deck of facts but I would care if my 4 year old still couldn't point out a circle, you know? lol No matter what, I expect all of my kids to be polite and have some compassion. HA! I just want my kids to be overacheivers. 8) 8)

Maridel
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Well I didn't read the article yet, though I will, but how many of us had to sit down and teach our children colors and shapes? I'm not an unschooler, but I've always felt this is one of those things kids pick up. Between reading books, sesame street or leap frog, kids just learn! I never taught this stuff with flashcards. Why does it have to be one way or the other?

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:42 PM

While I agree with this to some extent, my child wanted to learn early so I taught early.  She wanted to know what this was or that was.  She was constantly asking questions and constantly learning.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:05 PM

My kid LOVES flashcards. I'll have to post of a video of him sometime - falling over with giggles and glee working with his phonics flashcards, lol!

Quoting Maridel:

Well I didn't read the article yet, though I will, but how many of us had to sit down and teach our children colors and shapes? I'm not an unschooler, but I've always felt this is one of those things kids pick up. Between reading books, sesame street or leap frog, kids just learn! I never taught this stuff with flashcards. Why does it have to be one way or the other?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM

This.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I agree completely! When my youngest was little, I was more concerned with his growth as a compassionate, kind person who would share and contribute to our household. I never taught anything at all till age 5. Guess what? He knew all his colors and shapes. The above reply about being on the same level as other kids to avoid embarrasment is really a sad commentary on our society when even small children are competing for "who is best/smartest/ fastest etc.I've taught my children to not care how they stack up againt strangers. Its kind of pointless. When you're an adult, no person will ever ask you how old you were when you learned the difference between a blue circle and an orange square. No one ever asks hwo old a person was when they learned to read, or tie shoes, or went potty. So why are we trying so hard to cram academics down our toddlers' throats? 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:15 PM

You know, you're right. I don't think I ever really taught my kids any of those. They just picked them up along the way.

Quoting Maridel:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:45 PM
My LO is effectively "learning to be HUMAN," as he learns shapes, colors, letters, numbers, and life skills AT HOME, with his parents. I love that homeschooling can be done by most types of people in a variety of ways, but I am just not one to feel attraction to an extreme or radical sensibility or person. "The divorce rate is high!," to me, is not a rally cry to kiss baby ass; I TELL my son I am wiping his nose, and ask him if he wants a cuddle. Children need to be CAPABLE, thoughtful, human beings as they grow, and learning shapes and colors through intentional teaching is not going to derail that, and in fact, may aid in the great endeavor of making these future pillars of society. My LO is not going to be a thrice-divorced deadbeat dad or suicide statistic because I - horrors! - MAKE him practice his scissor skills, do some math, and work on his speech every day. He's four, and he's already an awesome person with a soft heart and a willing spirit. The, "that's okay! It's not too late!," perfectly captures the tone of the entire piece and actually chides parents who DO choose to teach their toddlers. Good grief! Perhaps she wrote it in response to one too many ILs nosing in or something, but come on!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)