Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Why I Do NOT Care About Teaching My Toddler about Letters, Shapes and Colors

Posted by   + Show Post

I thought this was good & wanted to share it with all of you! CLICK TO READ

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Replies (21-29):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree and disagree. I do think that there is too much emphasis out on teaching our children at earlier and earlier stages in their already young lives, but, I don't think that if the baby/toddler is wanting to learn and asks to have "schooling of a sort", then doing so will not scar them for life.
Good grief Charlie Brown! Children are not that breakable, while at the same time they are not tough as stell nails. There is a happy medium in between. Or not. As some may choose.

This is a good post as it shows us the different opinions and beliefs that are out there and helps to solidify what our own thoughts and beliefs are. Thanks for the perspective BJ. :)
housewifehell
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM

This kind of thinking is exactly what we practice in our house.  If my DH or I has a habit we don't like the best way to correct it is to remind ourselves of the lesson we are teaching our kids and that has transformed our lives.  We both went from obese and morbidly obese people just muddeling through life to healthy parents who activly take charge of the things we dont want to see our children fall victim to the way we had.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:11 PM
LOL. - I can't even spell! The word that is funny is stell but it was supposed to be steel! I crack me up. lol

Quoting kirbymom:

I agree and disagree. I do think that there is too much emphasis out on teaching our children at earlier and earlier stages in their already young lives, but, I don't think that if the baby/toddler is wanting to learn and asks to have "schooling of a sort", then doing so will not scar them for life.
Good grief Charlie Brown! Children are not that breakable, while at the same time they are not tough as stell nails. There is a happy medium in between. Or not. As some may choose.

This is a good post as it shows us the different opinions and beliefs that are out there and helps to solidify what our own thoughts and beliefs are. Thanks for the perspective BJ. :)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I couldn't have said it better myself!  I have been seeing posts on FB about how to homeschool a 2.5 year old and they seem to think that they will ruin the child no matter what they do.  They also seem to think they need to formally sit them at a desk to work with them.  We need to remember that we know our child.  If that child needs some structured desk time, we'll see it.  If desk learning isn't right for them yet, then they'll let us know that too.  It's much harder to "break" our kids than we give them credit for!

Quoting kirbymom:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
It amazes me how we do not give our LO's enough credit for being truly intelligent enough or strong enough to withstand even a puff of wind! Drives me insane.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I couldn't have said it better myself!  I have been seeing posts on FB about how to homeschool a 2.5 year old and they seem to think that they will ruin the child no matter what they do.  They also seem to think they need to formally sit them at a desk to work with them.  We need to remember that we know our child.  If that child needs some structured desk time, we'll see it.  If desk learning isn't right for them yet, then they'll let us know that too.  It's much harder to "break" our kids than we give them credit for!

Quoting kirbymom:I agree and disagree. I do think that there is too much emphasis out on teaching our children at earlier and earlier stages in their already young lives, but, I don't think that if the baby/toddler is wanting to learn and asks to have "schooling of a sort", then doing so will not scar them for life. Good grief Charlie Brown! Children are not that breakable, while at the same time they are not tough as stell nails. There is a happy medium in between. Or not. As some may choose. This is a good post as it shows us the different opinions and beliefs that are out there and helps to solidify what our own thoughts and beliefs are. Thanks for the perspective BJ. :)

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I have a problem with an "either/or" mentality.  My children at least WANTED to learn, and to my way of thinking that's a huge part of being human.  The idea that somehow one isn't learning about relationships or being human while one is learning colors and numbers, etc. is just silly. Any type of engagement with a young child results in that child learning something, so you'd almost have to try to not teach those types of things.  Now, of course, if her real issue was parents that push so hard that the child ceases to love learning, that's a different matter -- but I didn't take that message from the article.

mommaJ333
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

"If you read with them and use descriptive language during the day they are getting all of the academics they need for this age." - Sydney Steiner

I don't believe she truly does NOT care as the title would lead you to believe. I think she is just teaching her children in a indirect way. If you fill your house with Christian art and read Christian literature but skip the flash cards and repetitive action for memorization does that mean you are not "teaching" Christianity?

I do believe that teaching compassion, kindness, emotions and how to express self is indeed very important at any age....  But I don't see how "teaching" other subjects such as shapes can be detrimental to forming a whole person. In fact I would think and have seen that teaching any subject can bring out character building.

Precious333
by Julia on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Totally agree!

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I agree completely! When my youngest was little, I was more concerned with his growth as a compassionate, kind person who would share and contribute to our household. I never taught anything at all till age 5. Guess what? He knew all his colors and shapes. The above reply about being on the same level as other kids to avoid embarrasment is really a sad commentary on our society when even small children are competing for "who is best/smartest/ fastest etc.I've taught my children to not care how they stack up againt strangers. Its kind of pointless. When you're an adult, no person will ever ask you how old you were when you learned the difference between a blue circle and an orange square. No one ever asks hwo old a person was when they learned to read, or tie shoes, or went potty. So why are we trying so hard to cram academics down our toddlers' throats? 

Precious333
by Julia on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I think my 2nd grader 'gently' reminded me to refocus this week. I need to be less focused on academics sometimes and more focused on bringing up virtuous children. When everyone is.tired and sick, it can be a challenge to act in loving ways.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN