Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Good morning fellow "Teachers"

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 3:03 PM
  • 6 Replies

Good morning!

My name is Choclotize and I home school both my daughter (6th) and son. (1st)  We all have ADD, and are always looking for suggestions to help over come our different learning styles.

Does anyone have any tips for 1st grade that they would be willing to share? (I have never taught a pupil that young, my daughter started homeschool 2 years ago)

Thanks

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I would suspect that my DH would have been labeled ADD had he gone to school in the US.  One of the reasons we are homeschooling our kids.  My kids are crazy active and need lots of variety.  My DD is almost 4 but is reading, starting to write, etc.

We are using handwriting without tears, a FANTASTIC program with lots of variety and guidance to help keep them interested. Lots of songs, games etc.

Rightstart Math is another, lots of hands on and games!

Variety is key!! I checked out several things from the library this week.  We do preschool prep videos, read along books, i can read books, reading games (I have several from lakeshore learning, some I got from ebay), etc.

We only spend about 10-15 min on math, about 30 on writing (color, build letters with wood pieces, roll a dough, etc and then I have her trace and do mazes etc), reading is where we spend the most time because she loves it so much. 

Vary where you do the work. Make it fun and silly at times, they are still learning!!

Choclotize
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Thank you for the tips. I just got "righting without tears" and am going to start immediantly. I remember handwriting being my biggest bane as a child and don't want my little guy to have to suffer the way I did. (I did and still suffer from ADD, but at this point I type almost everything, or right in Mommy's special pen) I will also check out some of the other suggestions you gave.

Thanks again

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM

One thing you can do is quiz them on information as they are doing jumping jacks or running around the yard.  Keep them busy and vary where you do your work.  That is all I've got.  I have one that can't sit still so I have her stand to do some of her work.  Currently she is walking in circles in my living room (making me dizzy) while she is reading a book.  I almost never mind where they work as long as they are getting it done.  The only thing that I INSIST on is when we are writting we do it at the desk so that they can have proper support and form.

oredeb
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:01 AM

welcome choclotize, a good tip is to have fun!! sounds like you know they have different learning styles,

1st grade lots of hands on stuff do do, math count objects use manipulatives to do math,

write a lesson plan every week so you know what your doing each day, its ok if you dont follow it completely, at least you'll get a flow to your homeschooling and not have to stop and try to figure out what your doing after every lesson.

you dont have to sit at a table or in a desk to school , go outside, sit on the couch, lay on the bed or floor!

include some tv national geographic has some good shows if your studying animals, go on field trips , ask your fisrt grader what she'd like to learn about and do it!

have fun choclotize!!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:29 AM
I agree with what others suggested. Just keep moving 8)
Choclotize
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Thank you all so much! My daughter is the easy one, but boy oh boy - the boy is something a little different. Sill fun though!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN