Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

The Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM
  • 4 Replies

Has anyone used this?

My second grader is a pretty lousy speller. Up to this point I've brushed it off because of her age, but as we get into more independent work, I have a hard time not being by her side because if I don't sit with her and help her spell the words out, I can't read her work later!

The website quotes "Great spellers are always great readers, but great readers are often weak spellers!" Which seems to hold true for my DD. Any suggestions? I like the curriculum we use, and I'd hate to spend too much money on something new, but this looks worth checking out.

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
oredeb
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.thephonicsroad.com/phonicsroad/

never heard of it before, gona go check it out!

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I've never heard of it.  I wish you luck!!!  I am a person that comes down on my children even as early as Kindergarten for spelling.  I am a spelling kind of person with the exception of a few words that ALWAYS trip me up.  I would say that if you work on most of the grammar rules like how and why vowels say certain sounds that they may help. 

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM

One of my friends in college told me how her parents had a word of the day.  Every day they were given a new word.  They had to look up the definition, use it in a sentence and spell the word.  I really like this idea, it's fun and pretty easy to implement.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I can't hear phonics well so I wouldn't be able to use it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)