Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling and working...I'm tired!

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM
  • 25 Replies

Seriously, I did not think it would take this much out of me.  I got home at 6:30 today and I thought I would fall asleep as soon as I finished dinner (which, luckily, my awesome DH had cooked and it was just ready as I walked in the door)!  I forced myself to take a shower and then make copies of some things I need.

I didn't get to check DSs math yet, I have been keeping up with everything as they do it, but today got away from me.  I had to leave just before 2 to go to work and was gone until 6:30.  I don't have to work a lot, and I am so grateful, but even just the few hours a day is exhausting!  Not to mention that my job is not an easy one, it's tiring in itself!

My kids are mostly independent, but I do sit right there with them and we all do some subjects together.  I need to be closeby to answer their questions, I thought I could do some lesson planning and organization while they do schoolwork, but it's impossible.  I have been trying to print labels for their notebooks all week!

Don't get me wrong, I am LOVING homeschooling.  It has been awesome watching them learn and knowing exactly what they are learning.  The BEST thing is that I have absolutely no "mom guilt" anymore.  (OK it's only been a few days, but...) I spend all morning with them teaching them and watching them learn.  Then I get a bit of alone time on my drive to work, I do a job I really enjoy, a little more alone time on the drive home, eat dinner with my family, then spend time alone with DH before he heads off to work.  It is an awesome balance and I feel so incredibly blessed.

...But I am soooo tired!

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QueenAtargatis
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I feel ya, mama! I run a small business out of my home, work part time retail until midnight, and just started homeschooling. I'm exhausted already! Haha. Its worth it, though. =]
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Julia on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Can you cut back somewhere, or hire an extra hand (mama's helper) for thr odd end things?
I feel you also, Im exhausted. I dont work a "job" but have extras where i earn some money. Fatigue hit me today, very hard!!!
coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I understand where you are coming from.  I work FT from home.  In between emails and phone calls I am redirecting my kids and answering questions.  I am so far behind on laundry it is pitiful.  I also have to drive 1 1/2 hours into the office once a month to do the bookkeeping.  That was today.  Daddy was on for the day....I had written down 3 things that each child needed to do for today and they only got 2 done each.  I can't complain to loudly.  I made it back to town with enough time to have dinner with them and then showers and off to bed.  SO glad this only happens once a month, but I can tell you that I enjoy my one day away from them a month.  LOL

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I remember vividly during one of my OB appts (probably for #5) telling my doc I was tired and getting the quiz.  Really?  It's cuz I have kids and here's what we do....  Life is exhausting, especially as you start new things that weren't there before, but you adjust to it eventually.  My first day of student teaching kindergarten I actually collapsed on the classroom floor after the students left.  :)

celticdragon77
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:17 AM

I SO FEEL YOU ON THIS ONE!!!

high five

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Oh if only I could hire an extra hand..lol, we barely make things work as it is, no extras for us!

I think I need to just get used to it. I used to work ft and go to school ft and had two babies then toddlers then preschoolers...of course that was also during my younger years..but I think I can do this, I just have to get used to it.

Quoting Precious333:

Can you cut back somewhere, or hire an extra hand (mama's helper) for thr odd end things?

I feel you also, Im exhausted. I dont work a "job" but have extras where i earn some money. Fatigue hit me today, very hard!!!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:45 AM
I think that's it...I just need to adjust to it!

Quoting hwblyf:

I remember vividly during one of my OB appts (probably for #5) telling my doc I was tired and getting the quiz.  Really?  It's cuz I have kids and here's what we do....  Life is exhausting, especially as you start new things that weren't there before, but you adjust to it eventually.  My first day of student teaching kindergarten I actually collapsed on the classroom floor after the students left.  :)

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:46 AM
I don't even know how you do it. My DH works nights and only sleeps like 5 hours a day, I don't know how he does it. I need at least 8 hrs of sleep, and even with the full 8 hrs I'm tired at dinner time! I think you are amazing for doing what is best for your kids, while you still work and hardly sleep. You deserve all the kudos in the world.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I SO FEEL YOU ON THIS ONE!!!

high five

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I worked 20 hrs a week (5-9pm 5 days) for 7 years while homeschooling.  You just have to make a good schedule and have routine you stick with.  Being tired just goes with the territory, lol.  

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Is your approach too hands-on for you and demanding?  Is there another approach?

Also, have you discussed this with DH and asked him to step up in a few areas to help run the house?  I mean, if you are working outside the house, then he needs to have some responsibilities INSIDE the house.

Grading papers is difficult?   Set aside one night a week and another spot on the weekend and grade.    Set aside time the following day/evening to work 1-1 with any child that you notice a PATTERN of incorrect answers.   Or, have teach the kids to use the teacher's manual to grade the other kids' work FOR you.     OR, grade in the mornngs before you start "school".. you said they are pretty independent... have them doing some chores (clean kitchen, breakfast dishes, maybe even MAKE breakfast)... and then you grade papers.

Try to make it so that at 6:30, you don't have to do much.   Crock pot your dinners, and have the kids clean the kitchen.   They can rotate or work together.   If you fear for your crock pot, you can clean that.

Have a "family cleaning" day... let everyone pitch in.   "Hey, guys... Mom and Dad are both working to serve our family.  We really need your help.   Saturday morning, we are going to spend an hour and a half cleaning this house and then we can go... "

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN