Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I need ideas on how to spend my son's allotment money.

Posted by   + Show Post

I decided last minute to register him to a state funded homeschool program. I already bought the complete curriculum, science kits, school supplies and etc. 

How will you spend the $2000? The computer and tablet are excluded from this allotment but I chose not to buy new computer or tablet. We don't need it right now. Maybe next  year.

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
mommy4lyf
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I don't get to see it too but they gave me a form so I can see where the money goes. Since, I registered late, they will only reimbursed the books and supplies I bought for  my son since August 1.

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

We do homeschooling classes, art, pe, music. There is a lot you can do. We are with a charter school that gives $800/ semester for these things. I don't see cash, they pay the teacher.

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

lovelylady83
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM

still waiting to hear what state you all are in

mommy4lyf
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I thought I already mentioned Alaska. Sorry.

Quoting lovelylady83:

LongBeachLiz
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM
California

Quoting lovelylady83:

ballerina.2006
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Who are you going through? We're an I.D.E.A. family :)

What about sports or some sort of lesson like horseback, pottery, or a museum pass?

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Really? my son is 11 year old with autism and I pulled him out from public school this year. We're in Alaska. We have a lot of choices here- I just found out about that too =)

They will pay up to $50 for internet too.  

Quoting oredeb:

never heard of a state funded homeschool program!

how old is son? what state is this?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

We also get this. I think it is a CA thing. I don't know what my actual budget is per kid, but I have never been denied anything I have asked for.

They pay for all my curriculum as long as it is secular. I pick and choose everything on a kid by kid basis and I make all of my own lesson plans.  

They pay for some sports depending on the vendors. The individual sports my kids do dont accept their vendor funding but we are getting a family YMCA membership.

They pay for music lessons, one son is doing guitar and DD is taking piano. I ordered $200 in art spplies last week for the three kids. They also pay for Ds1's Driver's Ed.

It does come at a cost. I am required to report to a teacher monthly to turn in one work sample from each subject and a calendar of attendance. I have to report PE hours monthly. The kids also take the state test each Spring. The reporting  is VERY minimal and has never been any mre than the records I wold keep on my own anyway.

Quoting oredeb:

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

mommy4lyf
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Raven Correspondence.  He's already getting hippotherapy and they wlll pay for the $20 that our insurance will not pay (counted as for P.E). He's receving 4 x a week therapies too. I can't think of anything else that I might need for him.

Quoting ballerina.2006:

What about sports or some sort of lesson like horseback, pottery, or a museum pass?

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Really? my son is 11 year old with autism and I pulled him out from public school this year. We're in Alaska. We have a lot of choices here- I just found out about that too =)

Quoting oredeb:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I would buy additional things like...

science kits..anything and everything your kids may be interested in. Maybe a weather station kit, radio kit, snap circuits, how about robotics kits?

art supplies... sketch books, paints, brushes, pencils, clay, paper mache, etc

Can you get microscopes and slide sets?

How about astronomy supplies, star charts or a telescope?

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Most states do not have this. Those that do usually require something (like more public school district involvement/oversight) in return.

That sounds really neat! Enjoy!

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Quoting oredeb:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

ballerina.2006
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Will they reimburse for what you've already bought? If not don't worry about it. I disn't use all my allotment last year. It just goes into a fund (for idea) to help families who sign up mid year. Maybe Raven does sonething similar?

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Raven Correspondence.  He's already getting hippotherapy and they wlll pay for the $20 that our insurance will not pay (counted as for P.E). He's receving 4 x a week therapies too. I can't think of anything else that I might need for him.

Quoting ballerina.2006:

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Quoting oredeb:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN