Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I need ideas on how to spend my son's allotment money.

Posted by   + Show Post

I decided last minute to register him to a state funded homeschool program. I already bought the complete curriculum, science kits, school supplies and etc. 

How will you spend the $2000? The computer and tablet are excluded from this allotment but I chose not to buy new computer or tablet. We don't need it right now. Maybe next  year.

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Replies (21-30):
mommy4lyf
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM

We already bought the arts supplies. He's an artist and also we already bought educational dvds like DK, Disney, Bill Nye and etc. I can probably get extra science kit of what we already have. Telescope is a good idea but my son is not yet interested in it. He likes volcanoes and insects = ) we are also growing this meat-eating plant =) I dont' think this will survive here in this cold weather.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I would buy additional things like...

science kits..anything and everything your kids may be interested in. Maybe a weather station kit, radio kit, snap circuits, how about robotics kits?

art supplies... sketch books, paints, brushes, pencils, clay, paper mache, etc

Can you get microscopes and slide sets?

How about astronomy supplies, star charts or a telescope?

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Did you say if they will pay for sports? or music? Is he interested in those things? Maybe sports equipment?

mommy4lyf
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I see. They will only reimburse the stuff I bought starting Aug. 1. Next year will be different =)

Quoting ballerina.2006:

Will they reimburse for what you've already bought? If not don't worry about it. I disn't use all my allotment last year. It just goes into a fund (for idea) to help families who sign up mid year. Maybe Raven does sonething similar?

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Raven Correspondence.  He's already getting hippotherapy and they wlll pay for the $20 that our insurance will not pay (counted as for P.E). He's receving 4 x a week therapies too. I can't think of anything else that I might need for him.

Quoting ballerina.2006:

Who are you going through? We're an I.D.E.A. family :)

What about sports or some sort of lesson like horseback, pottery, or a museum pass?

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Really? my son is 11 year old with autism and I pulled him out from public school this year. We're in Alaska. We have a lot of choices here- I just found out about that too =)

They will pay up to $50 for internet too.  

Quoting oredeb:

never heard of a state funded homeschool program!

how old is son? what state is this?

mommy4lyf
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:13 PM

They might just rent the musical instrument if it's too expensive. I don't know yet.  But, I will brought it up when I see the teacher next week.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Did you say if they will pay for sports? or music? Is he interested in those things? Maybe sports equipment?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:04 AM
How about something like a treadmill for winter exercise?
Knightquester
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I would pay for extra curricular classes for him.  Have him learn an instrument, take martial arts and maybe even something else.  2k sounds like a lot of money, but if you've got your child in even two activities that are a hundred a month each, then you're paying 2k a year just for those two classes.

mommy4lyf
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:13 AM
I am not so sure of that but they will cover fitness club membership. We don't have room for treadmill. We only have stationary bicycle in our bedroom that my son uses once in a while.

Quoting mem82:

How about something like a treadmill for winter exercise?

mommy4lyf
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Looks like we wont be using this money this yr. The only thing I can think of is printer toner and also papers since I print worksheets and activities from the internet.

I would love to enroll him in classes but his therapy schedules are already 4x a week. We're already using Sat and Sun to catch up with the lessons.

Thanks for the suggestions tho

Quoting Knightquester:

I would pay for extra curricular classes for him.  Have him learn an instrument, take martial arts and maybe even something else.  2k sounds like a lot of money, but if you've got your child in even two activities that are a hundred a month each, then you're paying 2k a year just for those two classes.

oredeb
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

wow!!! thats neat! does your son like art? music lessons?

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Really? my son is 11 year old with autism and I pulled him out from public school this year. We're in Alaska. We have a lot of choices here- I just found out about that too =)

They will pay up to $50 for internet too.  

Quoting oredeb:

never heard of a state funded homeschool program!

how old is son? what state is this?

firefay
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Which states do this?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN