Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I need ideas on how to spend my son's allotment money.

Posted by   + Show Post

I decided last minute to register him to a state funded homeschool program. I already bought the complete curriculum, science kits, school supplies and etc. 

How will you spend the $2000? The computer and tablet are excluded from this allotment but I chose not to buy new computer or tablet. We don't need it right now. Maybe next  year.

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Replies (31-40):
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I had a $1000 allotment.  I bought reading books, a globe, anatomy models and some supplementary material.  I still have about half of it left, but I'm going to wait and see what needs come up during the year.

mommy4lyf
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Yes. We always have tons of arts supplies especially charcoal, colored pencils, crayons, paints and etc. He likes music but don't want to learn how to play the instrument. 

Quoting oredeb:

wow!!! thats neat! does your son like art? music lessons?

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Really? my son is 11 year old with autism and I pulled him out from public school this year. We're in Alaska. We have a lot of choices here- I just found out about that too =)

They will pay up to $50 for internet too.  

Quoting oredeb:

never heard of a state funded homeschool program!

how old is son? what state is this?

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

mommy4lyf
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 11:48 AM

You know what? I think I will just wait and see if I might need something later on. It was really my fault I decided to register him late and bought everything before I signed him up. Oh.. the globe! that's what I don't have yet. Thanks!!!

Quoting Pukalani79:

I had a $1000 allotment.  I bought reading books, a globe, anatomy models and some supplementary material.  I still have about half of it left, but I'm going to wait and see what needs come up during the year.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Can you grow "super veggies" where you are in alaska?   I know some places are supposed to because of the unusual growing season.

Can you plant a garden and charge the supplies to it? 

Can you include cooking class?   If so, maybe you can even claim ingredients...

Just imagine how the school budget would save your personal budget because SOME ONE has to eat those veggies and cooked foods.

Buy something you always wanted but couldn't afford.   I would consider a seriously good art program and a ton of art supplies.   I'd also consider a bunch of math manipulatives and educational games from the teacher supply stores.   I wouldn't buy those expensive things otherwise.   LOL!

Another thing I wanted was Rosetta stone, but it's outside my budget at the moment.   

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:44 PM

...complete set of classical music on CD?

Christie1952
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM

How about music or art lessons? Will they let you use the money to go to museums?

mommy4lyf
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Alaska

Quoting firefay:

Which states do this?

mommy4lyf
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Yes. They will also cover fitness club for the kids's P.E.

Quoting Christie1952:

How about music or art lessons? Will they let you use the money to go to museums?

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Laminator and supplies? Printer?

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Toner?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN