Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler Help!

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM
  • 10 Replies
We have recently started homeschooling again ages 7 and 9. My 2 year old did has become such a pest to her brothers while we are trying to work. I have tried giving her stuff to color and "read" but she will only do it for a minute then she will be back to being a pest. So I need advice on what to do with her while we school. We only do about 3 hours a day.
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by debbie on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:08 PM

this might sound funny but i had to train my younger ones as they came along to do something else till our schooling was done, i'd have a special toy or tape that they could do during our schooling times when i needed to be teaching the older kids, it didnt work the first few times but it gradually worked , i kept at it daily. i also had something called playpen(thats what we called them years ago)that i put to good use.  (one of them even learned to read by just sitting and playing there listening to us)

i kept telling the child this is school time for your sisters so you need to play with this or that for a little bit etc. just trying to establish a routine so she'd understand thats what we did at this time,

also you could have one of the kids entertain her while you are working with the other one?

twilightmom6545
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM
I did have them help yesterday but some subjects they are in the same class. I can't use a playpen for her cuz she will just climb out Lol. I want to put a shown on for her but I'm afraid it will distract the boys
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I do school with my youngest first, so he feels important and has some special mommy time.  Then I have him do some school stuff with his big brother while I school my middle boy (just math so half hour/ 45 minutes tops).  Oldest and youngest count together, color together, read together, whatever.  Then I have my middle take a break and play with the youngest while oldest and I do math together.

We do nearly everything else together---history, geography, science, and reading.  I make sure to ask easy questions of my youngest sprinkled in with the tougher questions to my older two:  Like-- To Youngest: Can you point to the star (on the map)?  Good!  To Middle: Now, L, can you tell me what that star is called? 

Then when my youngest was that age, I used his naps!!  We did more in depth stuff and science experiment stuff while he was napping.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

She's two, she needs hands-on stuff while they work.   Things like....

Stringing cheerios and fruit loops on a piece of yarn (make a "needle" end by taping it tightly for about two inches and tie a fruit loop on the bottom.)

Drawing with shapes and things in a pan of flour or rice or shaving cream (do you still have a high chair?  perfect use for it)

Magnetic boards with magnetic animals or dress up people...

Sorting beads into bowls of different colors...

And treat it as her school time.   Try putting on Barney in the living room for her while working at the table with the boys.   Barney can drive us adults batty, but young ones like him and it's wholesome.

Give her time first... get her started on a hands on project then just have her work NEAR you guys while you work.

If she's a more mature two, you can begin "training"... if she's disruptive, she gets taken to her room to play, or set in a corner.

Set a timer... "when the timer rings, Mom can come play for 10 minutes but first you have to let me work with the boys."     If she's disruptive, reset the timer.  "Uh oh, I haven't been able to work with the boys because you are interrupting.   I need to reset the timer."   ((you might start with a lower amount and work your way up))

Save the heavier schooling for when she naps.   Other stuff like science, she can sit with you and enjoy.   Get her some picture books that fit the subject you are learning, and let her flip through the pages while you read.   If she's more active, let her rock on a rocking horse or something while you read science to the boys.   When you do a project or experiment, try to do one with her... don' t worry about results, it's more for her to stay busy and involved... siimplify certain things if you must.

Create a "busy box"... use a shoe box and fill it with pipe cleaners, beads (be wary of choking hazaard), stampers, stickers...  then trace letters on quarter sheets of paper and she can sticker or stamp the letter shapes.

Get the outline of letters and have her color them.   Each paper she turns in can be worth a sticker on a sticker chart or a penny in her penny jar...

twilightmom6545
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 1:40 PM
She doesn't nap. And I don't have a highchair anymore. The TV would work but the boys have desks in the living room not at the table. She likes doing her colors

Quoting KrissyKC:

She's two, she needs hands-on stuff while they work.   Things like....

Stringing cheerios and fruit loops on a piece of yarn (make a "needle" end by taping it tightly for about two inches and tie a fruit loop on the bottom.)

Drawing with shapes and things in a pan of flour or rice or shaving cream (do you still have a high chair?  perfect use for it)

Magnetic boards with magnetic animals or dress up people...

Sorting beads into bowls of different colors...

And treat it as her school time.   Try putting on Barney in the living room for her while working at the table with the boys.   Barney can drive us adults batty, but young ones like him and it's wholesome.

Give her time first... get her started on a hands on project then just have her work NEAR you guys while you work.

If she's a more mature two, you can begin "training"... if she's disruptive, she gets taken to her room to play, or set in a corner.

Set a timer... "when the timer rings, Mom can come play for 10 minutes but first you have to let me work with the boys."     If she's disruptive, reset the timer.  "Uh oh, I haven't been able to work with the boys because you are interrupting.   I need to reset the timer."   ((you might start with a lower amount and work your way up))

Save the heavier schooling for when she naps.   Other stuff like science, she can sit with you and enjoy.   Get her some picture books that fit the subject you are learning, and let her flip through the pages while you read.   If she's more active, let her rock on a rocking horse or something while you read science to the boys.   When you do a project or experiment, try to do one with her... don' t worry about results, it's more for her to stay busy and involved... siimplify certain things if you must.

Create a "busy box"... use a shoe box and fill it with pipe cleaners, beads (be wary of choking hazaard), stampers, stickers...  then trace letters on quarter sheets of paper and she can sticker or stamp the letter shapes.

Get the outline of letters and have her color them.   Each paper she turns in can be worth a sticker on a sticker chart or a penny in her penny jar...

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

THey have to be trained for that just like you teach them how to behave in public, how to sit at the dinner table and use good manners, or how to share or pick up after themselves. Its a learning process. It won't happen overnight.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:54 PM

When my 3 year old was 2 last year she wanted worksheets like the big girls.  So I gave her those, when she wanted.  We also got a small dry erase board and some lacing cards and she would play for an hour or two like that.  This year she does an hour with me then she goes and plays in our playroom, luckily we have a better area for that this year.

collinsmommy0
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Check out the blog 1+1+1=1. It has ideas for independent play boxes - one for each weekday, to help keep her little one busy while she's working with her older kids.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Google busy bags or activity bags I even did a swap with local moms i made 14 spin and spell bolts and they each made 14 of something and we swapped
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 6, 2013 at 5:58 PM
These are all great answers. I've done most of them myself. It's just like a couple of posters said, you have to train them, just like you train them to brush their teeth or how to hold a fork or how to understand and know that you mean business.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)