Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Neighbor boy... cute, but had to tell him clearly to GO HOME!

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:40 PM
  • 14 Replies

You might remember my post about Abby (5) not being allowed the freedom of just going to go play with the three year old in the yard next to ours because of finding her in the street several times.

Anyway, we also started school a few weeks ago.   Abby's little friend comes over multiple times a day asking for her.   I keep telling him, NO... we do school now.   Abby can't play.    Usually he'll come running back over about every half hour.

It's worse now because the weather is nice, so we open our door for fresh air and to not run the A/C as much.

Well, he thinks open front door is an invitation for him to ring our doorbell repeatedly and yell in our front door.

He was over around 8:30... then again at 8:45... then again two minutes later... and I am tired of it.   I answered this time, and tried to not hurt his feelings but make it VERY clear, we will not be playing today and he must go home and stay home.   

I hate being a "meanie" to some one else's kid... GRRR... it just bothers me to have to do that!!!    At the same time, the poor wee thing is bored and lonely.

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:42 PM

oh, and the bottom of the screen was a little tore, not much... and now it's REALLY tore because of his pushing on it and trying to get the baby to hit his nose through it.   Now, he can reach his hand through and yesterday I told him he was interrupting our school lessons to go home, I see his little hand come through the screen waving around trying to pet my dog... "I wanna pet shiloh!!"    argh... LOL!

I'm venting, but more of a playful frustration.   He's a cutie, and it's not his fault his mother doesn't teach him boundaries. 

gummibear
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:54 PM

We have one of those he is 9. We are late starters so we do school a lot of the time starting at 11-12 depending on the day and things going on. Everyday as soon as school lets out he is on my door step, They don't have school on Friday. He knocks on my door every 30-45 mins. It gets old but i don't wanna be mean. My kids are the only boys that play with him. He has 2 sisters and the other neighbor has 2 girls also, so it makes me feel so bad to turn him away.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:56 PM
LOL! The "free range" kids in the old neighborhood drove my mom crazy at dinner time many nights for YEARS.
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:17 PM

This summer my girls made new friends with a couple of girls down the street and they were constantly coming over to see if the girls could go out and play.  For the most part it was okay, but wow - I'm not kidding when I say "constantly." Now that school has started, we dont have the same problem because they go to public school while we homeschool.  Still, I did go down and talk to their mom last weekend and let her know that the kids have classes most afternoons so they'll really only be able to play on the weekends.  My husband has been here while we're gone and he said that they haven't come by, so I guess that did the trick.  My suggestion to you would be to go and have a talk with the boy's mom.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM

You might HAVE to speak to his mother about it, frankly (and I know that would be uncomfortable for you). My 4 year old doesn't have a clear enough concept of time to understand that (and certainly wouldn't have at 3, but I digress - I also don't let him roam the neighborhood, lol!).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Mandallyn
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:28 PM
I was going to say this. If he's bothersome every day it is something you should take up with his caregiver. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to have such an intrusive child living next door.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You might HAVE to speak to his mother about it, frankly (and I know that would be uncomfortable for you). My 4 year old doesn't have a clear enough concept of time to understand that (and certainly wouldn't have at 3, but I digress - I also don't let him roam the neighborhood, lol!).

oredeb
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

wheres his mother! she should be knowing what hes doing?

he sounds very cute! i can just see him running over to your house on little short legs!

Precious333
by Julia on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Yep. I was thinking the same. I would be a nervous wreck, but our neighborhood isnt a place we can do that kind of stuff either.

Quoting oredeb:

wheres his mother! she should be knowing what hes doing?

he sounds very cute! i can just see him running over to your house on little short legs!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I wouldn't necessarily call HIM an intrusive neighbor; I'd be more inclined to call his mother disinterested or even neglectful. Most 3 year olds do what they please, if allowed, lol.

Quoting Mandallyn:

I was going to say this. If he's bothersome every day it is something you should take up with his caregiver. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to have such an intrusive child living next door.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

snowangel1979
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:04 PM
3 moms liked this
Maybe you could get a little sign like an apple or whatever and hang it on the door knob or screen door. Since he can't tell time, give him a visual reminder.

Tell him if the sign is up you are to go back home and if you knock or yell while the sign is up then that means you can't play with your DD at all that day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)