Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Interesting learning moments...

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM
  • 11 Replies
3 moms liked this

Today we stayed home from the Jubilee (a Farmer's and Threshermen's fair in our area) so that we could do a bit of school and go to soccer practice this evening.  Leaving for soccer practice I hit the giant rock in our driveway.  The guys with the back hoe that put our driveway in could not move this rock, it is enormous!  So we curved the driveway around it, but when you are going around the curve, you cannot see the rock.  Anyway I hit it with the rear tire and blew a hole (the size of my fist) in the side of my tire. 

I know how to change a tire, so I thought okay, let's do this.  I got out all the tools, and got to work.  But the shop that tightened those lugs did WAY too good of a job.  I couldn't get them to budge.  So the whole time I'm talking to the kids about what I'm doing and why.  I go into the basement to get a piece of pipe and we talk all about leverage.  I explain why I can't use too big of a pipe because I could break the bar or the lug and it's dangerous.  Well, i bent the pipe.  So I went and found a heavier duty iron pipe.  We talked about material strength and more about leverage.  About why I didn't jack up the car yet.  (Seriously I think it was good for me, because I'm sure I would have cried much much sonner if I weren't calmly explaining all of my reasoning to them.)

Anyway, I bent the next pipe!!  GRRR!  Now I am frustrated.  I walked away a little and screamed.  Then I came back and tried yet again.  Nope, still no use. 

I finally called the coach's cell and told her we would be missing practice (LOL, it was already 20 minutes in to practice, so she had probably figured it out.)

I came back to the boys and had them get back into regular clothes, I apologized for missing practice. 

Then my oldest comes to me and says, "Mom, you got so frustrated, but you really just kept trying.  You always tell me to just keep trying when I get frustrated, but I always thought you just got everything so much easier and faster than me.  Even when you screamed and cried, you didn't stop trying to do it, and you taught me how to change a tire too."  I wiped my eyes and laughed a little and said, "I didn't get the tire changed, but I'm glad you learned something."  And he told me, "Yeah, I learned my mom is very, very stubborn."

LOL

Not sure what to make of it all, but it wasn't as horrible as I was starting to believe.

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM

There is your silver lining your sons learned that Mom struggles at things just like they do & all that cool stuff about changing tires & leverage too.

hwblyf
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this
You know, stubborn and persistent are very similar....
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Quoting usmom3:

There is your silver lining your sons learned that Mom struggles at things just like they do & all that cool stuff about changing tires & leverage too.

Yep, I think it was very important for them to see how I do handle struggles.  Definately a silver lining!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting hwblyf:

You know, stubborn and persistent are very similar....

LOL!!  True! 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM
What am incredible experience to have with your children! A life lesson to be sure! Kinda makes my own heart feel good just reading about it. :)) you did great mom!
oredeb
by debbie on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:07 PM

thats great they could see you getting frustrated just like they do!!!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Quoting kirbymom:

What am incredible experience to have with your children! A life lesson to be sure! Kinda makes my own heart feel good just reading about it. :)) you did great mom!

Thanks.  I think they kept me much calmer than I would have been alone. 

ambertreas76
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Isn't it awesome that we have the little ones to remind us to be gentle and kind to ourselves?  You are doing a great job, mom!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Quoting oredeb:

thats great they could see you getting frustrated just like they do!!!

It's good for them to see that mom is all too human, too.  :-)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I know what you mean. I can't begin to count how many times that my children's presence had been a learning moment for me every bit as much as they were learning from me. I am a better human being because of my children. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:What am incredible experience to have with your children! A life lesson to be sure! Kinda makes my own heart feel good just reading about it. :)) you did great mom!

Thanks.  I think they kept me much calmer than I would have been alone. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)