Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Question ... Whats more difficult then homeschooling with a refluxy newborn....

Posted by   + Show Post

homeschooling with a teething crawling red hed that gets into everything or screams! LOL... we're off to a great start!

by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Replies (21-30):
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh thank you! I've tried many but not all of these. The warm water bottle I may try next. Carseats are a MAJOR problem. As soon as I set him in he's crying and will cry all 1 miles to town.

I know it will pass (my second was like this) but this time my older 3 (5,3,2) are stressed by all the crying as well so we are all on each others nerves :/

I'm crying just thinking about the end of this nursing session cause I know he'll be back to crying :/.....it's more than 3 hours a day.

Quoting kirbymom:

Treating Baby's Colic continued...

Changing Sensory Stimulation

Swaddle your baby.

Try more time in a front baby carrier (the kind you wear over your chest).

Take your baby for a ride in the car (but not when you are sleepy!).

Put your baby in the car seat on or near the dishwasher or dryer (be careful the seat doesn't vibrate and fall off!).

Use "white noise" (such as static on the radio or the vacuum cleaner), classical music, or a "heartbeat tape" next to the crib.

Try infant massage.

Put a warm water bottle on your baby's belly.

Have him or her suck on a pacifier.

Soak baby in a warm bath.

Try an infant swing.

Increase or decrease the amount of stimulation in the environment.

Medications

Anti-reflux medicines, if reflux is suspected, may cut down on acid production and/or help to move the milk downstream.

Try giving the baby some herbal tea (e.g., chamomile, mint, fennel, verbena, but NOT star anise, which can be toxic).

Use anti-gas drops

Try giving the baby "gripe water," but check the ingredients first. Most contain only herbs, but some from Europe may have alcohol or even phenobarbital, which, of course, you should avoid.

Although there is limited scientific evidence to support the use of homeopathic drops for colic, some parents report they have helped their colicky baby.

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

I don't know, the refluxy wailing newborn is pretty rough here. My son gets so frustrated that we can't hear each other well. As soon as baby is ACTUALLY asleep, we are both rushing to get stuff done because as soon as baby wakes its back to crying. He's 6 weeks old today, it will pass right?!

lovelylady83
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:46 PM

She had an aweful time in the carseat too!  I found the wedge (only the wedge not the part that goes around the baby) that goes under the butt here to be amazing... it prevents their stomach from making the L shape that irritates reflux babies... but it cuts down the length of time they will fit in the infant carseat...

http://hugmejoey.com/hug-me-joey/

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

Oh thank you! I've tried many but not all of these. The warm water bottle I may try next. Carseats are a MAJOR problem. As soon as I set him in he's crying and will cry all 1 miles to town.

I know it will pass (my second was like this) but this time my older 3 (5,3,2) are stressed by all the crying as well so we are all on each others nerves :/

I'm crying just thinking about the end of this nursing session cause I know he'll be back to crying :/.....it's more than 3 hours a day.

Quoting kirbymom:

Swaddle your baby.

Put your baby in the car seat on or near the dishwasher or dryer (be careful the seat doesn't vibrate and fall off!).

Use "white noise" (such as static on the radio or the vacuum cleaner), classical music, or a "heartbeat tape" next to the crib.

Try infant massage.

Try an infant swing.

Medications

Anti-reflux medicines, if reflux is suspected, may cut down on acid production and/or help to move the milk downstream.

Try giving the baby some herbal tea (e.g., chamomile, mint, fennel, verbena, but NOT star anise, which can be toxic).

Use anti-gas drops

Try giving the baby "gripe water," but check the ingredients first. Most contain only herbs, but some from Europe may have alcohol or even phenobarbital, which, of course, you should avoid.

Although there is limited scientific evidence to support the use of homeopathic drops for colic, some parents report they have helped their colicky baby.

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

I don't know, the refluxy wailing newborn is pretty rough here. My son gets so frustrated that we can't hear each other well. As soon as baby is ACTUALLY asleep, we are both rushing to get stuff done because as soon as baby wakes its back to crying. He's 6 weeks old today, it will pass right?!

lovelylady83
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

zantac helps too :)

Quoting kirbymom:

Swaddle your baby.
Try infant massage.
Try an infant swing.
Medications

Use anti-gas drops

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Oh my goodness I'd LOVE to try this. Can't afford 70$ if it doesn't work though. Do you still have it? Are you willing to sell it or let someone try it?

Quoting lovelylady83:

She had an aweful time in the carseat too!  I found the wedge (only the wedge not the part that goes around the baby) that goes under the butt here to be amazing... it prevents their stomach from making the L shape that irritates reflux babies... but it cuts down the length of time they will fit in the infant carseat...

http://hugmejoey.com/hug-me-joey/

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

Quoting kirbymom:

Swaddle your baby.

Try infant massage.

Try an infant swing.

Medications

Use anti-gas drops

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM
My oldest was severely colicky. She could only sleep 3 hours in a given 24 hour period. All the rest if that time was spent crying and bf.

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

Quoting kirbymom:Treating Baby's Colic continued...

Swaddle your baby.
Try infant massage.
Try an infant swing.
Medications

Use anti-gas drops

Quoting SMTCMMoore:I don't know, the refluxy wailing newborn is pretty rough here. My son gets so frustrated that we can't hear each other well. As soon as baby is ACTUALLY asleep, we are both rushing to get stuff done because as soon as baby wakes its back to crying. He's 6 weeks old today, it will pass right?!

SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:19 AM
How long did it last?

Quoting kirbymom:

My oldest was severely colicky. She could only sleep 3 hours in a given 24 hour period. All the rest if that time was spent crying and bf.

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

Swaddle your baby.

Try infant massage.

Try an infant swing.

Medications

Use anti-gas drops

Quoting SMTCMMoore:I don't know, the refluxy wailing newborn is pretty rough here. My son gets so frustrated that we can't hear each other well. As soon as baby is ACTUALLY asleep, we are both rushing to get stuff done because as soon as baby wakes its back to crying. He's 6 weeks old today, it will pass right?!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

My baby is not a red-head, is taking teething pretty calmly actually, and has been pretty happy and laid back.   However, he's now walking and has realized that it's more fun to be 100% fully involved now and so he's in the grabbing and screaming phase, too... LOL!

It's so fun.   My third was a very uhm... hard to handle, child... she still is.   I wake up every day wondering if I'm going to make it.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM

If you are nursing, try cutting milk out of your diet.   Everytime I drank a glass of milk with my last baby, he would get acid reflux really bad.   I could eat cheese and even some yogurt in moderation, but not a full glass of cows milk.

I can't say if it's a milk ALLERGY, but after I had to stop nursing (10 months) because of doc wanting me on some meds, I tried regular formula and he went back to having reflux and I switched to soy... it was much better... but then I switched to almond milk and coconut milk around a year.

My older child prepared him a sippy and accidentally gave him the regular milk instead of almond milk.   He broke out in a rash and had reflux.

Anyway, if that doesn't make a difference, he could have an allergy to something else that you (or he) is eating.

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

How long did it last?

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

Swaddle your baby.

Try infant massage.

Try an infant swing.

Medications

Use anti-gas drops

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Oh, geez, if your oldest is five, why are you even hsing right now.    You are six weeks PPD!   With kids that young, I would just take time off, let them go on educational sights, do some crafts, take them to the park, etc...

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

How long did it last?

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

Swaddle your baby.

Try infant massage.

Try an infant swing.

Medications

Use anti-gas drops

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Lol - You don't want to know the answer to that question! Lol
She was like that until her first birthday. Then, it was like a light switch was turned on. She never was like that anymore.

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

How long did it last?

Quoting kirbymom:My oldest was severely colicky. She could only sleep 3 hours in a given 24 hour period. All the rest if that time was spent crying and bf.

Quoting SMTCMMoore:Oh thank you! I've tried many but not all of these. The warm water bottle I may try next. Carseats are a MAJOR problem. As soon as I set him in he's crying and will cry all 1 miles to town.

Swaddle your baby.
Try infant massage.
Try an infant swing.
Medications

Use anti-gas drops

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)