Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

does this seem excessive to you?

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:07 AM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

an acquaintance of mine is homeschooling her pre-k aged kid.  my idea of pre-k is very laid back and non-structured.  according to her facebook, she is spending 4ish hours a day.   that's the amount of time it takes for me to 2nd grade.  my kindergartener only spends an hour-ish each day.  now, i'm wondering if i'm not spending enough time.  

how long do you spend each day on lower grades?

(even though i'm in my 3rd year of hsing, i always second guess myself)

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

My pre-K we did about an hour a day total.  She can't sit still to save her life so we would do 5-10 several times a day.

My 1st grader was doing 2 1/2-3  and my K was doing about 2.

If you are covering ALL that you feel that you need to then please don't second guess yourself.

almondpigeon
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM

thanks!  i think i just someone else to tell me i wasn't crazy.  

Quoting coala:

My pre-K we did about an hour a day total.  She can't sit still to save her life so we would do 5-10 several times a day.

If you are covering ALL that you feel that you need to then please don't second guess yourself.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm doing Pre-K now and it's about an hour a day.
coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Your not crazy and WE all are guilty about second guessing ourselves in one way or another....not necessarily with school.  You are doing great.

Quoting almondpigeon:

thanks!  i think i just someone else to tell me i wasn't crazy.  

Quoting coala:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

My 8yo only does between 3 and 4 hours a day. That sounds like way too mmuch work for a pre K.

BatMom.
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Preschool curriculum took about a couple hours, and included Kindergarten supplements (my Son's actual grade level work has been too easy for Him from the start). Kindergarten took about three hours, plus first/second grade supplements (half hour to an hour more). First grade (this year) averages at about four hours, plus second/third grade supplements (about an hour more).
oredeb
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

yes thats a long time if shes doing academics, maybe shes including a lot of hands on fun stuff also,

i homeschool 6 kids now and only spend 4-5 hours ages 4,6,12,14,15, and 16.

for the 2 younger kids 4 and 6, im really just teaching the 6 yr old the 4 yr old just like to hang out and do what older one is doing, hes learning! it only takes about 1-2 hours for the younger ones

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this
We don't spend that much time on it at all.
melindabelcher
by Mel on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it's individual to the child. some kiddos are overwhelmed and can only handle an hr or so. Other kiddos are like sponges and pick up things very easily and quickly and desire to learn more.
I don't think theres really such thing as to much or to little so long as it's tailored and meeting the needs of that particular child.
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

My 1st and 2nd graders spend 60-90 minutes per day on "book work." That is, their math, language arts, etc type stuff - but if I add up all the other bits of 'school' we do throughout the day (extra curriculars, sports, art class, scouts, gardening, family scripture study, reading aloud to them as a group, educational videos, and bedtime reading together), it comes out to about 3 to 3.5 hours per day. 

My 5th grader does all the extra stuff as well, but spends about 2.5 - 4 hours per day on book work. Just depends on the day and how motivated she is to finish. :)

If she's spending 4 hours a day it just depends how much of that is 'book' time. IMO that shouldn't be more than 30 minutes before K. Children under age 7 learn best through play and they just need lots of opportunities to do that - the parent-teacher's main job is to provide opportunities and materials for them to learn and experience.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)