Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

does this seem excessive to you?

Posted by   + Show Post

an acquaintance of mine is homeschooling her pre-k aged kid.  my idea of pre-k is very laid back and non-structured.  according to her facebook, she is spending 4ish hours a day.   that's the amount of time it takes for me to 2nd grade.  my kindergartener only spends an hour-ish each day.  now, i'm wondering if i'm not spending enough time.  

how long do you spend each day on lower grades?

(even though i'm in my 3rd year of hsing, i always second guess myself)

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Replies (21-29):
Molimomma
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is 3.5 doing some pre-K and a little bit of K but I do it in bite-sized increments because he has a very short attention span(normal for his age) we do 2-3 hours total at the absolute max but that includes calendar math, play dough time, story time before nap and whatever math & phonics things we are doing that week. 

collinsmommy0
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this
It depends on what she's counting as preschool. I do maybe 10 minutes per day of direct, planned activities with my 2 year old....but then we may spend 30 minutes making waffles or muffins, 20 minutes playing play doh, 30 minutes at the park, we may look for snails & bugs while we go for a walk, etc & I could *technically* call that preschool time but its just ou regular day stuff.
marrionsmommy
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this
My 1st grader does 2.5 hrs to 3 hrs max......some days he is highly motivated and finishes in 2. I am doing prek with a 3 yr old and I have her doing about 3 hrs...although she spends about 5 mins on an activity then runs outta the room lol. She does spend about an hour on whatever sensory box I put together. My son did prek and did 2 hrs sitting and doing activities , no way would he do 4hrs (unless I counted going for a nature walk, or pointing out colors innthe house etc.)
Tal0n
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I didn't start any kind of "formal" schooling until Chibi was 7.  Before that, it was all play.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Depends on the kid.   My first would do "school" stuff for hours with me as long as we had a few movement, snack, and other breaks.   Also, as long as she and I were having great fun with it.

My second, he was strong for about an hour or two and then needed a while to relax, and could come back to it again if interested.

My third???   AARRRGGGHHH!!!   She's technically KG age now, and some days we barely get 20 minutes of work in.   I supplement with time4learning.com, field trips, crafts, etc... but actual school work ??? not so much.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:30 AM
1 mom liked this

O. M. G. That would be torture! I usually did about 10-15minutes per years of age - 1 y/o = 10 minutes, 2 y/o = 20 minutes, 3 y/o = 30 minutes, etc.

almondpigeon
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM

this is kind of the schedule that we are on as well.  i'm trying to imagine my 4 yo sitting still for multiple hours and i just can't picture it.

Quoting KickButtMama:

O. M. G. That would be torture! I usually did about 10-15minutes per years of age - 1 y/o = 10 minutes, 2 y/o = 20 minutes, 3 y/o = 30 minutes, etc.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

My 4 year old does several hours of formal school work - not all of it is sitting down and, what is sit down work, is broken up throughout the day. Hardly torture - he loves it.

Just because your friend is doing 4 hours worth of structured instruction, doesn't mean it's all sit down work or that it's all at one time. Of course, if she is, she perhaps simply has a child with a personality conducive to just that.

Everybody does things differently :)

Quoting almondpigeon:

this is kind of the schedule that we are on as well.  i'm trying to imagine my 4 yo sitting still for multiple hours and i just can't picture it.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

lucsch
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

About 1 hour for K4, 1-1/2 for K5, 2 for 1st, 3 for 2nd, 4 for 3rd, 4-5 for 5th, 4-6 now in 5th.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)