Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok, so we dont have a diagnosis yet, but my 7 yr old most likely has sensory processing disorder. We are going to evaluate him.

Anyways, right now we are having such a hard time. It feels like things are so much worse. Maybe its adjusting to a newborn, now sure. We actually are ok on.doing school work. I make sure to do it when everyone is happy, and we stop if there is a metldown. My question is, what are some tips for preventing these huge meltdowns? Or any other tips you may have for me?
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Replies (11-14):
bmw29
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Look into a weighted lap pad. If he has trouble sleeping a weighted blanket is amazing too. I special ordered ours because ds only likes certain textures. I think the place I went through was Dreamcatchers weighted blankets. They were amazing about working with me and ds still uses that blanket every night. It's been almost 5 years so their excellent quality.

Quoting Precious333:

Oh yes, i have heard of the out of synch child!

He had a bit if both. He is sensitive to noises, smells and certain clothing, but he is very touchy feely too, likes close contact witg people. He is very sensitivr emotionally as well.

Quoting bmw29:

What symptoms stick out? Is he sensory seeking or is he more sensitive? I have a few SPD books I liked.

The out of synch child and Sensational kids are both good.

MotoStar
by Echo on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I am currently homeschooling my 7 yr old. He has Asperger's Syndrome. I also have a 2 year old.

I make sure to nip tatrums in the butt before they happen. As a parent, I think we tend to have a sense about when they are on the edge.

My son is high functioning but has sensory issues and is also ADHD.

I make sure that I break up the day. If he is doing well, I reward him. We also do "dance breaks" in between subjects, so he can get some silliness and energy out. We also do "relax minutes", if he is agitated or tired, we take some "relax minutes". Calm time on the couch or in his room. Sometimes, this turns into a nap, which can really help if he hasn't slept well.

Just try to remember to make it fun for both of you. Include your newborn into the subject matter. My son loves math and science. The other day, we measured the volume of his sister's milk before it went into her sippy cup and we measured the mass of her goldfish crackers, LOL.

It can get stressful but you will find a groove and things will work out!

I wish you the best.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Yeah, we do break up the day big time, i am a believer is free play learning :) our reward system is that they get to play games afterwards. I think we will try more periods of activity and rest though. So far that has been a.challenge.

Quoting MotoStar:

I am currently homeschooling my 7 yr old. He has Asperger's Syndrome. I also have a 2 year old.

I make sure to nip tatrums in the butt before they happen. As a parent, I think we tend to have a sense about when they are on the edge.

My son is high functioning but has sensory issues and is also ADHD.

I make sure that I break up the day. If he is doing well, I reward him. We also do "dance breaks" in between subjects, so he can get some silliness and energy out. We also do "relax minutes", if he is agitated or tired, we take some "relax minutes". Calm time on the couch or in his room. Sometimes, this turns into a nap, which can really help if he hasn't slept well.

Just try to remember to make it fun for both of you. Include your newborn into the subject matter. My son loves math and science. The other day, we measured the volume of his sister's milk before it went into her sippy cup and we measured the mass of her goldfish crackers, LOL.

It can get stressful but you will find a groove and things will work out!

I wish you the best.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you! I will look into that. He has sleep.issues, well, he likes to stay up late and doesnt sleep in.

Quoting bmw29:

Look into a weighted lap pad. If he has trouble sleeping a weighted blanket is amazing too. I special ordered ours because ds only likes certain textures. I think the place I went through was Dreamcatchers weighted blankets. They were amazing about working with me and ds still uses that blanket every night. It's been almost 5 years so their excellent quality.

Quoting Precious333:

Oh yes, i have heard of the out of synch child!

He had a bit if both. He is sensitive to noises, smells and certain clothing, but he is very touchy feely too, likes close contact witg people. He is very sensitivr emotionally as well.

Quoting bmw29:

What symptoms stick out? Is he sensory seeking or is he more sensitive? I have a few SPD books I liked.

The out of synch child and Sensational kids are both good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)