Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Learning LA through Literature?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM
  • 12 Replies

Has anyone used this program?  Pros/Cons?  How much religion is in it?  Thanks!!:)

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you really need a program to do this? Couldn't you just pick classic books & some more modern well written books that your child wants to read? I know that there are lots of sites that have printable worksheets that are for popular books that you could use & kind of make your own curriculum around each book.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 5:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I was unimpressed.   Too boring, too easy, not enough retention.   

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:13 PM
2 moms liked this
Ed Helper has a lot of book units that are good. There is one option where you enter the beginning and ending date and it makes a day to day reading log of which chapters to cover and comprehension questions.

Quoting usmom3:

Do you really need a program to do this? Couldn't you just pick classic books & some more modern well written books that your child wants to read? I know that there are lots of sites that have printable worksheets that are for popular books that you could use & kind of make your own curriculum around each book.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Is Ed helper a website? Is there a fee? That sounds awesome! And much better than spending tons of money on a curriculum that may not even include books you would want to include.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Ed Helper has a lot of book units that are good. There is one option where you enter the beginning and ending date and it makes a day to day reading log of which chapters to cover and comprehension questions.

Quoting usmom3:

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Is Ed helper a website? Is there a fee? That sounds awesome! And much better than spending tons of money on a curriculum that may not even include books you would want to include.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting usmom3:

These were my three favorite websites as a 4th grade teacher and I use them at home now.

Edhelper----$39.98/year

Enchanted Learning.....$20/year

Super Teacher.....$19.95/year

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:08 PM

No, I suppose not, but this program is all layed out and would save a lot of the leg work.  This a comprehensive program that covers spelling and writing.  As my DD gets older I want to be sure she has the skills to continue her education into college.

Quoting usmom3:

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:11 PM

OK, no pros at all LOL!  What age/grade did you use it for?  I could see where the dictation would be boring for some students, but my son would love it.  Strange, I know.

Quoting KrissyKC:

I was unimpressed.   Too boring, too easy, not enough retention.   

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I used the orange book and there is really not enough spelling in it, very little creative writing, and only 4 books...not exactly a comprehensive lit/lang arts program. They don't even require reading the entire book. Just brief passages. I ffigured if I was supplementing a "complete" program so much, I'd just make my own.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm just letting my kids read whatever books they want for LA. I'm lazy,lol.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Not lazy IMO as long as they follow through and read and can answer questions about the book.  Thats mostly what we've done with a few writing projects and grammar lessons thrown in.  With my DD getting older though I want some more structure.

Quoting paganbaby:

I'm just letting my kids read whatever books they want for LA. I'm lazy,lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)