Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Must reads for grades 5 and 6?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  • 28 Replies
I feel like I never have time to come here and peruse anymore :/

What books should a 5th grade girl definitely read? A 6th grade boy? They are both close to grade level for reading and comprehension (6th grader maybe a year above, 5th grader maybe a tad below).

I keep coming across Phantom Tollbooth-which I have never read..and The Golden Goblet-which I have also not read. Thoughts?
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Let me think which books I taught for 5-6.....Indian in the Cupboard, Tuck Everlasting, Winn Dixie, Sign of the Beaver, Rascal, The Witch of Blackbird Pond ( high 6th), and for 4th but still good for 5th- the Little House books, Family Under the Bridge ( good Christmas book), The Castle in the Attic, Stone Fox, and The Whipping Boy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh, also Holes and Ben and Me. I'll add more when I remember.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this

100 Cupboards/Dandelion Fire/Chestnut King
The Bridge to Terabithia
Across Five Aprils
George Washington's Socks
Leepike Ridge
The Giver
Ender's Game 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I'm not sure I would do The Giver until grade 7 or 8... just because it can be pretty "heavy" for a 10 year old. Just me though - it's one of my FAVORITE books.

Everybody already gave you the list of good classic literature, so I'll just add my favorites :)

Bill O'Reilly wrote some children's books that are kid copies of his adult novels. I think they are Lincoln's Last Days and Kennedy's Last Days?

Also:

Al Capone Does my Shirts

The Mysterious Benedict Society (series)

Harry Potter (series)

Caddie Woodlawn

Fever 1793

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, it can be kinda heavy.  I'm reading Bridge to Terabithia with my 5th grader right now, so I guess I'm in the mindset of some of these heavier topics being a read together.  But Harry Potter (towards the end esp.) is heavy as well.

Anyway, we just finished listening to the Overland series.  LOVE it.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm not sure I would do The Giver until grade 7 or 8... just because it can be pretty "heavy" for a 10 year old. Just me though - it's one of my FAVORITE books.

Everybody already gave you the list of good classic literature, so I'll just add my favorites :)

Bill O'Reilly wrote some children's books that are kid copies of his adult novels. I think they are Lincoln's Last Days and Kennedy's Last Days?

Also:

Al Capone Does my Shirts

Harry Potter (series)

Caddie Woodlawn

Fever 1793

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:24 PM

DS JUST got Al Capone Does my Shirts for free from B&N for the summer reading program.  He didn't like the looks of any of the books and almost didn't get one, I read the back and talked him into (come on kid,it's a free book!)  I will have to talk him into reading it now!

I thought The Giver was for odler as well.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Also:

Al Capone Does my Shirts

Harry Potter (series)

Caddie Woodlawn

Fever 1793

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:26 PM

DD just finished Bridge to Terabithia. 

I haven't read The Giver, but I thought it was for older as well.  I guess I better get to reading-I haven't read a lot that are listed!  My kids have read Harry Potter and seen all the movies (DD has not finished the series, the reading is a bit advanced for her..maybe we should read the rest together).

Quoting hwblyf:

Yeah, it can be kinda heavy.  I'm reading Bridge to Terabithia with my 5th grader right now, so I guess I'm in the mindset of some of these heavier topics being a read together.  But Harry Potter (towards the end esp.) is heavy as well.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Also:

Al Capone Does my Shirts

Harry Potter (series)

Caddie Woodlawn

Fever 1793

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

In the last year or so, my (now) 5th grade girl has enjoyed Caddie Woodlawn and Sarah Whitcher's Story. Very pro-girl stories, but historical too.

For fun she and I have read two of the Gregor books. We only like them so-so.

All of us are reading the Narnia series as a family. 

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

According to Scholastic, it's a grade 3-5 interest level, 6th grade reading level.  I haven't read it in a while, and never as a kid, but I think it would depend on the child.

I've always read the Harry Potter books with my kids.  First, they like to get started earlier than they really are able to read and comprehend it on their own.  Second, it keeps us reading together.  Third, it's another excuse for me to read the books again.  :)

Oh, Sherlock Holmes might be interesting for the 6th grader.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

DD just finished Bridge to Terabithia. 

I haven't read The Giver, but I thought it was for older as well.  I guess I better get to reading-I haven't read a lot that are listed!  My kids have read Harry Potter and seen all the movies (DD has not finished the series, the reading is a bit advanced for her..maybe we should read the rest together).

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Also:

Al Capone Does my Shirts

Harry Potter (series)

Caddie Woodlawn

Fever 1793

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Harry Potter can definitely be "heavy" at the end of the series - I'm not sure that the average 5th grade reader could even handle the reading necessary for books 6 and 7. They didn't come out until I was in my teens, so I read them later.

I'm an HP *freak* and I hope to start reading them to my middle son (age 4), like, immediately. Lol. My eldest (12) has already read all but the last one.

Oh, and OP, the Percy Jackson series. My daughter LOVES those!!!

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Also:

Al Capone Does my Shirts

Harry Potter (series)

Caddie Woodlawn

Fever 1793

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)