Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Must reads for grades 5 and 6?

Posted by   + Show Post
I feel like I never have time to come here and peruse anymore :/

What books should a 5th grade girl definitely read? A 6th grade boy? They are both close to grade level for reading and comprehension (6th grader maybe a year above, 5th grader maybe a tad below).

I keep coming across Phantom Tollbooth-which I have never read..and The Golden Goblet-which I have also not read. Thoughts?
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I forgot about Percy Jackson.  My kids also like Brandon Mull as an author--Candy Shop War, Fablehaven, Beyonders.

I'm a total freak, HP is just one of many ways.  I won't start my kids on them until they finish kindergarten.  It makes them crazy, but I think it's better for their comprehension.  I won't read my 2nd grader the 4th book until after 2nd grade.  She's a wee bit upset with me, but it gets really dark.

And can I tell you how old you've made me feel?  You were a teen when the books came out.  I was not.  :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Harry Potter can definitely be "heavy" at the end of the series - I'm not sure that the average 5th grade reader could even handle the reading necessary for books 6 and 7. They didn't come out until I was in my teens, so I read them later.

I'm an HP *freak* and I hope to start reading them to my middle son (age 4), like, immediately. Lol. My eldest (12) has already read all but the last one.

Oh, and OP, the Percy Jackson series. My daughter LOVES those!!!

Quoting hwblyf:

Yeah, it can be kinda heavy.  I'm reading Bridge to Terabithia with my 5th grader right now, so I guess I'm in the mindset of some of these heavier topics being a read together.  But Harry Potter (towards the end esp.) is heavy as well.

Anyway, we just finished listening to the Overland series.  LOVE it.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm not sure I would do The Giver until grade 7 or 8... just because it can be pretty "heavy" for a 10 year old. Just me though - it's one of my FAVORITE books.

Everybody already gave you the list of good classic literature, so I'll just add my favorites :)

Bill O'Reilly wrote some children's books that are kid copies of his adult novels. I think they are Lincoln's Last Days and Kennedy's Last Days?

Also:

Al Capone Does my Shirts

The Mysterious Benedict Society (series)

Harry Potter (series)

Caddie Woodlawn

Fever 1793

maggiemom2000
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Sign of the Beaver

Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

From the Mixed Up Files of Basil E Frankweiler

crescentwolf
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Indian in the Cupboard and watch the movie as well.  There's also some sequels to Indian in the Cupboard book.  

Little House on the Prairie/Little House on Rocky Ridge (the second series being about Almanzo and Laura's daughter Rose).  

Phantom Tollbooth.  

Bedknobs and Broomsticks if you haven't read it already I think.

I read Night in 8th grade English in school.  

Shiloh as well as Shiloh Season and Saving Shiloh (by the way there's also three movies for each book you can watch after the books are complete).

Harry Potter (and again watch the series).  You could do a vindiagram with the books and movies listed above and compare them to each other (personally I think that after HP 1 the movies went down hill but are still good).  

Across Five Aprils

Trumpet of the Swan maybe.

Chronicles of Narnia

Castle in the Attic and Battle for the Castle I read in 6th grade

Stone Fox

The Whipping Boy (also has a movie)

Sign of the Beaver I read (there's also a movie for it on Netflix)

The Witch of Blackbird Pond (haven't read but heard of)

Maybe Where the Red Fern Grows (watch the orgiinal movie, not the Disney and watch Where the Red Fern Grows 2)

Ender's Game I read in 9th grade

Maybe Rifles for Watie (Civil War book)

The Plague Dogs (also watch the movie-it's sad but nice)

Watership Down (and watch the movie-there's also a TV series on Youtube)/You could read Tales from Watership Down which is stories-divided into 3 parts  (TV Series-you need to watch Season 2 backwards starting with The PRISONER OF EFRAFA/ending with THE HOMECOMING and season 3 starts getting darker)

Maybe that Percy Jackson series/the Kane Chronicles PJ/KC

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Fablehaven is a pretty good series (it also has discussion questions in the back pertaining to each chapter)

jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Hard to believe no one mentioned Roald Dahl. His books are a must for every child. I also recommend Can Jansen, Ramona books, mouse on a motorcycle. Geronimo Stilton is also great.
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I did The Giver as a readaloud to my kids this summer (ages 9, 9 and 11) and I had to talk them through some of it to discuss what was going on and give the ending a happy spin that they surely made it to a new vilage and found a new home.

I always pick from the Newbury Medal list if I'm stuck for a new choice:

http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/newberymedal/newberyhonors/newberymedal

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM

OP, don't you have a dyslexic kiddo?

Hank Zipzer (a series) is a MUST for every dyslexic child!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Yes, we are pretty sure anyway-she's not diagnosed by a professional...just by me, lol. I will look into that. I think I heard something about Percy Jackson being dyslexic? We haven't read any though, DS tried them and didn't like the first book.

Now, how were you a teen when HP came out? I didn't think I was that young, but I could be wrong...and you can't be much younger than me, lol (your DD is 12 right?). Now I have to go look up the dates of when they came out!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM

(I had dd at the ripe old age of 16, lol)

I'm 28. The first HP book came out, I believe, in 1997? Which would have made me about 12 or 13 (depending on the month, lol).

Yes, I believe Percy Jackson is dyslexic (I'd have to ask dd).

The "Hank Zipzer" series was written by The Fonz (Happy Days!) - he is dyslexic; the books are about him, set in modern day, as a dyslexic child. They are hilarious.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Yes, we are pretty sure anyway-she's not diagnosed by a professional...just by me, lol. I will look into that. I think I heard something about Percy Jackson being dyslexic? We haven't read any though, DS tried them and didn't like the first book.

Now, how were you a teen when HP came out? I didn't think I was that young, but I could be wrong...and you can't be much younger than me, lol (your DD is 12 right?). Now I have to go look up the dates of when they came out!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Haha, that explains it. I had DS at 19, I'm 30 now :). (That was a rough birthday lol)

I can't believe they came out so long ago, in 1997 I was 14!

I will look at that other series too! Thanks :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

(I had dd at the ripe old age of 16, lol)

I'm 28. The first HP book came out, I believe, in 1997? Which would have made me about 12 or 13 (depending on the month, lol).

Yes, I believe Percy Jackson is dyslexic (I'd have to ask dd).

The "Hank Zipzer" series was written by The Fonz (Happy Days!) - he is dyslexic; the books are about him, set in modern day, as a dyslexic child. They are hilarious.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)