Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Must reads for grades 5 and 6?

Posted by   + Show Post
I feel like I never have time to come here and peruse anymore :/

What books should a 5th grade girl definitely read? A 6th grade boy? They are both close to grade level for reading and comprehension (6th grader maybe a year above, 5th grader maybe a tad below).

I keep coming across Phantom Tollbooth-which I have never read..and The Golden Goblet-which I have also not read. Thoughts?
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Replies (21-28):
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

another resource I've discovered for books that are too difficult for my kids to read -- look them up on youtube. I found the entire City or Ember series as audio files on someone's youtube page, as well as all the Percy Jackson books and other books by Rick Riordan... there are so many! It's free! And often the audio books I want aren't at the library, and it frees me up from doing all the reading out loud. I set up my computer in the living room and the kids can listen and even read along.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this
How did I forget James and the Giant Peach?!?

Quoting jen2150:

Hard to believe no one mentioned Roald Dahl. His books are a must for every child. I also recommend Can Jansen, Ramona books, mouse on a motorcycle. Geronimo Stilton is also great.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bama410
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Definately Harriet The Spy for the 5th Grade Girl---it sparked my life long love of reading.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know if you can still find this book, but Yours Turly Shirley by Ann M. Martin is a good story about a girl with dyslexia. I got it from Scholastic years ago.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

OP, don't you have a dyslexic kiddo?

Hank Zipzer (a series) is a MUST for every dyslexic child!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Everyone gave you such great books, I'll just add a few:

Ann Rinaldi writes some awesome historical fiction.  I loved A Break with Charity (about the Salem Witch trials) and The Coffin Quilt (the Hatfeilds and McCoys).

James Patterson has a series about Maximum Ride.  She is a genetically engineered girl which has created some great discussions!!

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (series) I read those in late elem and early middle school.

Rabble Starky
Who Am I ANyway?
Karen Kepplewhite is the World's Best Kisser
Island of the Blue Dolphin
Sister of the Quints
Call It Courage
The Looking Glass Wars, Seeing Redd, and Arch Enemy (Series of books about Wonderland)
Peter and the Starcatchers (Series) by Dave Berry and Ridley Pearson.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL, I guess that's more than a few!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:28 AM
I am not sure! LOL

Quoting Bluecalm:

How did I forget James and the Giant Peach?!?

Quoting jen2150:

Hard to believe no one mentioned Roald Dahl. His books are a must for every child. I also recommend Can Jansen, Ramona books, mouse on a motorcycle. Geronimo Stilton is also great.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:45 AM
Don't forget biographies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)