Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 Most Annoying Things You Can Say to a Homeschooling Mom

8 Most Annoying Things You Can Say to a Homeschooling Mom

by Adriana Velez

homeschoolWhat's the best thing about homeschooling your kids? It's hard to say. Maybe it's the joy of watching your children learn in a creative, hands-on environment customized just for their learning style and interests. Nahhh, it's actually the stupid questions people ask you. A lot of people out there who know nothing about homeschooling sure to have some surprisingly strong opinions about it, right? Here's our favorite things you should never say to a homeschooling mom.

1. Are you, like, wicked religious? Okay, some parents choose to homeschool for religious reasons. But parents choose homeschooling for a whole range of reasons -- most often because they believe it's the best way to educate their kids. A lot of the time, homeschooling has nothing to do with religion.

2. I would never assume I was qualified enough to teach my child. Who says homeschooling parents do all the teaching by themselves? Homeschoolers aren't all spending six hours at home bent over books -- it's often more creative than that. There are communities that do lessons together, tutors you can hire. There's a whole range of resources.

3. Don't you want your kid to have any friends? It's homeschooling, not prison. Kids can still participate on soccer teams, take music lessons, join Girl Scouts, play at the park with the other children. And there's no guarantee kids will always make friends at their school. Ever heard of bullying?

4. How do you stand spending so much time with your kids? I could never spend so much time with my kids! First of all, homeschooled kids aren't necessarily spending all their time with their parents. Secondly... I'm sorry you don't like spending time with your kids.

5. I can't even get my kids to clean their rooms. How do you get your kids to do their school work? Um... sounds like someone needs to work on their parenting skills. 

6. Hey kid, what's the capital of Kansas? What's Pi? How do you measure the radius of a circle? Who was America's first president? How do you spell discombobulation? How many fingers am I holding up? Um, thanks for those "gotcha!" questions. It's true. We just sit around all day doing macrame and singing folk songs and now my kids know nothing. Your brilliant quizzing scheme exposed us. Here's my phone so you can call CPS.

7. Good luck getting your kid into college. Yeah... don't think that's going to be a problem. Your kid, on the other hand...

8. And best of all: WHAT ABOUT SOCIALIZATION? So, what about it? Like the whole amazing world we explore isn't enough for my kid, he has to spend six hours a day inside a room with 35 other children every day or he'll grow up a mushroom.

What are the most annoying things you've heard people say about homeschooling?

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
MammaG08
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Quoting Bluecalm:

I am so sick of hearing the socialization comment from every single solitary person I talk to. My kid is happy, friendly, and personable. What more do they want?

I've noticed a lot of people want to quiz him about what he's learning.

Exactly!!!
MammaG08
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Why is it that people, TOTAL STRANGERS even, feel they have a "right" to start grilling us about homeschooling?!?  I am so fed up, I mean to the rim with people who stick their nose into MY PERSONAL FAMILY  business!!  This is beyond annoying for me know, it is downright infuriating.   I guess some people are just so surprised that we chose a different path than they did for their kids, or maybe they feel inferior as parents because they didn't choose the same for their kids, I don't know.   What about embracing differences in people ~ aren't the schools always trying to teach that?  UGH. 

MammaG08
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:23 AM
1 mom liked this

And as for #6, instead of "grilling" my child to see if they can answer all of the random questions that their child could not, why don't you ask him what he has been learning about lately, and actually encourage him in his studies?  Oh yeah, it is about making the child feel stupid so that the parents will actually change their mind about homeschooling because you just asked a few questions they didn't know.  UGH!!!!

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:37 AM
I've had a number of people tell me they guess it's alright if I hs as long as I am providing socialization opportunities. Seriously? This was a decision my dh and I made based on what we believed to be best for our son. I'm not asking anyone to approve of our choice or give their blessing. I wonder how they'd like it if I questioned their decision to send their child to ps.

I also had someone tell me recently my son isn't really being socialized if I'm present, that he has to be alone with other children and adults.

Quoting MammaG08:

Why is it that people, TOTAL STRANGERS even, feel they have a "right" to start grilling us about homeschooling?!?  I am so fed up, I mean to the rim with people who stick their nose into MY PERSONAL FAMILY  business!!  This is beyond annoying for me know, it is downright infuriating.   I guess some people are just so surprised that we chose a different path than they did for their kids, or maybe they feel inferior as parents because they didn't choose the same for their kids, I don't know.   What about embracing differences in people ~ aren't the schools always trying to teach that?  UGH. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I've come to realize how fortunate we are where I live. In seven years of homeschooling, I've only had positive responses. I have never encountered the rude questions or the "pop quiz" people. In fact, many people comment that they are hearing more and more about homeschooling and it seems everyone I meet knows someone else who does it. At the last two churches we've attended, there were at least 3 other hs families and the cashier at my grocery store is always asking my opinion on curriculum. I have 3 cousins who hs, and I have 4 ps teachers in my family who fully support us. I'm beginning to think that is not the norm.

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this
When I hear those comments I often wonder what freedom means to those people. Right now we have the freedom to educate our kids the way we see fit. I want to ask them, "how is taking that freedom away giving us a free country to live in?"

Quoting seximami111:

My mom irritates the crap out of me with #8.  She also thinks it's not right, that people shouldn't be allowed to homeschool and that if they do they need to closely monitored and the child needs to be regularly tested by a "real" school.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I've come to realize how fortunate we are where I live. In seven years of homeschooling, I've only had positive responses. I have never encountered the rude questions or the "pop quiz" people. In fact, many people comment that they are hearing more and more about homeschooling and it seems everyone I meet knows someone else who does it. At the last two churches we've attended, there were at least 3 other hs families and the cashier at my grocery store is always asking my opinion on curriculum. I have 3 cousins who hs, and I have 4 ps teachers in my family who fully support us. I'm beginning to think that is not the norm.

It is totally not the norm.  We have 6 ps teachers and 3 former ps teachers (me included) some are supportive and some are not.  I've found that the ones insecure in their abilities and their jobs are the ones that are unsupportive.  We have many homeschooling friends, but other people in our soccer group, our family, our friends, and random people on the street make comments, quiz the kids, or tell me it shouldn't be legal.  I really wish it would get better around here. I am a little jealous of you....:-)

acrogodess
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Actually, just about everyone I have met has been really supportive.

I've only had two people give me any lip about my decision to homeschool. One is my mother. Oh, Lord. She even tells the kids that I will "make them stupid". Meanwhile, my kids don't even take her serious because I have my degree as well as four Dean's List awards plus all the countless honor roll awards from growing up. Lol.

Second, was a school teacher I worked with while working for the YMCA. I cannot take her critique on homeschooling seriously when she asked me how to spell several words, could not pronounce some words properly and she was always complaining about the school she worked in, district policy and state exams. Thanks lady for showing me exactly why I want to homeschool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Lol, I once had a cashier at the grocery store say that, she didn't get my sarcasm when I said it was a weight lifted off my shoulders to have her approval..lol...

Quoting Bluecalm:

I've had a number of people tell me they guess it's alright if I hs as long as I am providing socialization opportunities. Seriously? This was a decision my dh and I made based on what we believed to be best for our son. I'm not asking anyone to approve of our choice or give their blessing. I wonder how they'd like it if I questioned their decision to send their child to ps.

I also had someone tell me recently my son isn't really being socialized if I'm present, that he has to be alone with other children and adults.

Quoting MammaG08:

Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education / KBM Creations  / Pintrest
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

JTE11
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I haven't even started formally home schooling dd yet and I'm getting comments like "Why is she too good to go to school like everyone else? I didn't know you were raising a snowflake."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)