Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How can I get my 2nd grader son..

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM
  • 10 Replies
To slow down and stop being fast,fast,rush,rush,rush!! This is everyday. Like when he reads then I ask him the W's questions and he don't know cause he to busy rushing Thur his reading. Math is a nightmare.. I dont know what to do anymore. Any advice??
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Can you let him pick the books so that the story is something he is interested in? As far as math I would find games that use the same skills that he is learning, money math would be Payday or Monopoly!

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I tutored a child like that.  It started because one of  her teachers required them to finish their work before they could go out for recess.  She developed the habit of rushing even when that was no longer the case. I had to make her read out loud paragraph by paragraph as I asked her to tell me what she just read.  It is a long process to break old habits.

If children do not comprehend what they are reading, have them act out (role play) paragraph by paragraph.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Sounds like he isn't as interested as he might want you to believe. How old is he?
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Some kids have a hard time with reading aloud and comprehending.   Try letting him read the page silently to himself first, then answer the questions.   You can practice reading out loud anytime.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:35 PM

if it's rushing to get WORK done and making careless mistake or if it's illegible..  I will make them erase it and go back and check their work.

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:42 PM

If they can't answer questions about what they read.....I make them re-read and we try again.  I repeat this process until they can tell me what they read.  If is is illegible writting I make them re-do it.  If the math problems are wrong they go back to fix them until they are correct.  I also watch the clock and let them know how long it took them to do it properly and then add that time to the time they origianlly took and ask them which took less time....to do it quickly and then have to fix their mistakes or do it properly the first time?

KimmyPoo
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:41 AM
He is 7

Quoting kirbymom:

Sounds like he isn't as interested as he might want you to believe. How old is he?

KimmyPoo
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Ladies thank u for y'all replies. I have made him read to myself, read out loud and everything. Yesterday I would him read out loud then on a paper answer the W"s questions. Went ok like that. I still had make him slow down. He just hates reading and Math . He goes online and plays math on math playground.com he does enjoy that. So I let him do that. I just not a huge fan on learning on computers..i guess I am just to old school :)
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this
You know, my hubby was exactly like that when he was a kid. The only thing his parents could do for him was just to do the best they could and not push him so hard. And you know what, he turned out to be extremely smart and quick in action.
I don't know if your son is the same but I do know that you just keep trying and trying. Even when you get frustrated and want to give up. Eventually, you'll both get through to a more manageable place in schooling and in life.

Quoting KimmyPoo:

Ladies thank u for y'all replies. I have made him read to myself, read out loud and everything. Yesterday I would him read out loud then on a paper answer the W"s questions. Went ok like that. I still had make him slow down. He just hates reading and Math . He goes online and plays math on math playground.com he does enjoy that. So I let him do that. I just not a huge fan on learning on computers..i guess I am just to old school :)

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Allowance is a great game! I play with son 8yo all the time.

Quoting usmom3:

Can you let him pick the books so that the story is something he is interested in? As far as math I would find games that use the same skills that he is learning, money math would be Payday or Monopoly!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)