Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm losing my baby (in a good way)

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Little Man, who is 4, has been doing Kindergarten this year. He doesn't want to do Pre K anymore (since last year he's been announcing this). Thinking I'd need to go slowly with him, he continues to amaze me everyday with how quickly he speeds through everything (I wish this would rub off on his sister!!!) What amazes me the most at how quickly his reading and spelling lessons are going.
We've been using All About Spellin with him, and he's been averaging one step a week. Last week we ended on segmenting sounds from words. So a word like "go" he would tell me the sound is soft /g/ and long /o/.  And then a word like "dog" would be /d/ short /o/ soft /g/ (he doesn't tell me long or soft or anything like that, just how it sounds). Over the weekend, he came up to me and out of the blue, "Mommy, dog is D-O-G!" I was floored!! Practical application to his spelling lessons already! So when we reviewed today, I asked after he segmented the word if he could spell it, and he did 20 words, by himself, correct!
I guess he's not my baby anymore :( hehe

On a side note though for those that use AAR...do you have your kids move on after the can fluently read the fluency sheets? Little Man gets too bored, especially with those, and even though he can't read fluently, he knows the words and is able to answer easy questions about what he's read so the comprehension is there even though the reading is choppy. We've been moving on, but I don't want him to get in too over his head if we keep going...

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:20 PM

That is great that he is wanting to learn & doing so well!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:53 PM

My 4 year old is working on reading also.  We are learning through starfall and practice.  I am so happy for your little man.  Thtat is awesome.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:00 PM

My first was reading her first words before 3 yrs.   We read our first books shortly after her third birthday.  

My second was not quite so early, but he picked it up very easily around 4 1/2 

My third???   She's taking more actual TEACHING... I mean, I'm having to teach and teach and teach and... you get the idea.    We are working on week five of school and she is still very preschool in her approach to everything.   That's ok... that's who she is.   However, I'm figuring out how it's not quite as easy to teach a kid to read as my first two had me thinking it was.

If we aren't very successful this year, I may look into all about spelling and other such curriculum for next year (like teach a kid to read in 100 lessons)...

For now, though, I still want to try and see if we can do it.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Nice job!
If you are unsure if it is truly working, try doing something new with the same lesson and see if he picks it up or if he struggles to understand. That is what I try when I am not completely sure. Always shows me they are picking up some of the lessons or information that us presented to them.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Thank you :)
 I use starfall mixed with All About Reading. He gets bored working on the same things over and over so when he gets frustrated with one program, we switch to the other, and they mesh fairly well. We skip around in Starfall to match AAR.  The crazy thing is that the AAS seems to be helping with his reading far more than the reading is lol.

Quoting debramommyof4:

My 4 year old is working on reading also.  We are learning through starfall and practice.  I am so happy for your little man.  Thtat is awesome.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:22 PM

My oldest still has a hard time reading, so for Little Man to read has been too easy for me lol. I was reading by 3 so I've always felt like I've been letting the kids down because they weren't able to do what I was able to... I know its silly to think tho.

Quoting KrissyKC:

My first was reading her first words before 3 yrs.   We read our first books shortly after her third birthday.  

My third???   She's taking more actual TEACHING... I mean, I'm having to teach and teach and teach and... you get the idea.    We are working on week five of school and she is still very preschool in her approach to everything.   That's ok... that's who she is.   However, I'm figuring out how it's not quite as easy to teach a kid to read as my first two had me thinking it was.

If we aren't very successful this year, I may look into all about spelling and other such curriculum for next year (like teach a kid to read in 100 lessons)...

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

With reading I switch between AAR and Starfall because he gets bored, and he does great on both. I'm just afraid that because my oldest struggles with reading so much, that if I keep pushing him even though he's not fluently reading something that I'm going to end up failing him...does that makes sense? I know he can read though, he is going around the house trying to read everything. He also randomly comes up to me and spells stuff now too (I think he's learned if he spells stuff correctly out of the blue I give him a sucker lol)

Quoting kirbymom:

Nice job!
If you are unsure if it is truly working, try doing something new with the same lesson and see if he picks it up or if he struggles to understand. That is what I try when I am not completely sure. Always shows me they are picking up some of the lessons or information that us presented to them.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM

That is cool I may have to see about getting it next year.  My son gets so bored we can only read for a minute.  Even the hooked on phonics easy readers are to much for him sometimes.  He can only sit for a few minutes.  But he really wants to read Danny and the DInosaur to himself.

Quoting No_Difference:

Thank you :)
 I use starfall mixed with All About Reading. He gets bored working on the same things over and over so when he gets frustrated with one program, we switch to the other, and they mesh fairly well. We skip around in Starfall to match AAR.  The crazy thing is that the AAS seems to be helping with his reading far more than the reading is lol.

Quoting debramommyof4:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I know exactly what you mean.   Our kids are all different and have different gifts/talents/learning styles, etc...  We KNOW this.   Many times it's part of the reason we home school.   Yet, we still can't help comparing sometimes.   Mainly it's because we are second guessing ourselves.

I'm glad he's finding so much success!! 

Quoting No_Difference:

My oldest still has a hard time reading, so for Little Man to read has been too easy for me lol. I was reading by 3 so I've always felt like I've been letting the kids down because they weren't able to do what I was able to... I know its silly to think tho.

Quoting KrissyKC:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM
I know that feeling well. I always felt that I was failing my kids in some way that I could never see. Even when they were learning.

Quoting No_Difference:

With reading I switch between AAR and Starfall because he gets bored, and he does great on both.

I'm just afraid that because my oldest struggles with reading so much, that if I keep pushing him even though he's not fluently reading something that I'm going to end up failing him...does that makes sense?

I know he can read though, he is going around the house trying to read everything. He also randomly comes up to me and spells stuff now too (I think he's learned if he spells stuff correctly out of the blue I give him a sucker lol)

Quoting kirbymom:Nice job! If you are unsure if it is truly working, try doing something new with the same lesson and see if he picks it up or if he struggles to understand. That is what I try when I am not completely sure. Always shows me they are picking up some of the lessons or information that us presented to them.

Kids are extremely smart! lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN