Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm losing my baby (in a good way)

Posted by   + Show Post

Little Man, who is 4, has been doing Kindergarten this year. He doesn't want to do Pre K anymore (since last year he's been announcing this). Thinking I'd need to go slowly with him, he continues to amaze me everyday with how quickly he speeds through everything (I wish this would rub off on his sister!!!) What amazes me the most at how quickly his reading and spelling lessons are going.
We've been using All About Spellin with him, and he's been averaging one step a week. Last week we ended on segmenting sounds from words. So a word like "go" he would tell me the sound is soft /g/ and long /o/.  And then a word like "dog" would be /d/ short /o/ soft /g/ (he doesn't tell me long or soft or anything like that, just how it sounds). Over the weekend, he came up to me and out of the blue, "Mommy, dog is D-O-G!" I was floored!! Practical application to his spelling lessons already! So when we reviewed today, I asked after he segmented the word if he could spell it, and he did 20 words, by himself, correct!
I guess he's not my baby anymore :( hehe

On a side note though for those that use AAR...do you have your kids move on after the can fluently read the fluency sheets? Little Man gets too bored, especially with those, and even though he can't read fluently, he knows the words and is able to answer easy questions about what he's read so the comprehension is there even though the reading is choppy. We've been moving on, but I don't want him to get in too over his head if we keep going...

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Replies (11-11):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Awww YAY!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN