Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Thinking in the open, here, would like your thoughts, too!

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello, I was just sitting here mulling over my DD's education (she will turn 3 in February) and I am just not sure where to go right now. We live in a rural area, there are few daycares and even fewer preschools. She just about never (maybe twice per year) gets to see other kids...but I want to homeschool her because the preschools here are not great. I am mainly concerned about her socialization and her learning how to work with other people, not just with me. I know it's a stereotype of homeschooled kids but it's actually playing out with my DD. She almost never gets to socialize.

I was considering putting her into preschool three days per week (or three half-days) just so she could see other kids, and then supplementing the academics on my own. I guess my questions to you are, do/did any of you have this issue? What did you do?

I am also concerned about her when she gets to kindergarten age-she likely won't be socializing then, either, because of the same reasons. It would just be me and her, every day. Can kids grow up OK if they never see other kids? We're really hurting for opportunities here and I'd hate to have to send her to the crap elementary school we have just so she doesn't grow up in a vacuum.  Do I sacrifice socialization for academics? Any input is welcome, ladies. I want her to be well-educated but also well-rounded and I'm just not seeing how I can strike that balance at this point. Thanks in advance, and thanks for reading the whole thing!

Just a quick update...it was recommended to me by a kind person on here to search Yahoo groups and Meetup.com (and another nice person recommended Googling) to see what comes up. I am getting no co-ops in my county, and I did find one social group for home schooling moms (not really for kids), that was it for home school groups. I am joining that group just to see what they can tell me about how to get my DD around other kids.

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Replies (31-36):
JTE11
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Thank you! That does give me some reassurance. I try not to worry but, being new, it's hard not to worry at least a little, lol. I just don't want to go along swimmingly and the find I have a ten year old wallflower because I didn't make enough effort to get her around other people. I will try to relax. I want to get her into 4 H but she can't join until she's 7 or 8 I think, which is a long way away. I do have to check the library again to see what they have for preschoolers. There doesn't seem to be a lot for kids under at least age 3 here, but luckily DD only has about five more months to go before she's 3 and she can start doing at least some things.

I've been hs for close to 5 yrs. When we firstsstarted out we were able to join a good
hs group. We met with them a few times a month.
We now live in a small town. There isn't much around. I wasn't concerned about my daughter being alone and not around other kids. She is now apart of American Heritage Girls and 4H. We have to go to the next county over, but it's worth it. No she doesn't hang out with her peers all the time.She does know hhow to interact with people of all ages. I know you are new to his. Believe me the more you do it the less likely you will be concerned with how often she gets to interact with others.
A few things you could look into. See if the local library has a reading time for kids. Also look into a MOMs club and or MOPS. Some local churches may have activities and/or programs as well.

craftyzenmom
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

County lines don't seem to matter in our area...On that note though, any dealings with the local school district are rather difficult. They don't like the $$ leaving nor the test scores, but whatever! It's the gas bill that gets a little crazy...tomorrow we'll be gone from 10:30 until about 5:00, with over 100 miles of driving in there. The benefits outweigh the negatives at this point. Good Luck!!

JTE11
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Thank you!  And good luck to you, too. 100 Miles is a lot of driving!

Quoting craftyzenmom:

County lines don't seem to matter in our area...On that note though, any dealings with the local school district are rather difficult. They don't like the $$ leaving nor the test scores, but whatever! It's the gas bill that gets a little crazy...tomorrow we'll be gone from 10:30 until about 5:00, with over 100 miles of driving in there. The benefits outweigh the negatives at this point. Good Luck!!

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
The ladies on here have offered some good advice. However, I wanted to make a point.
Please consider for a moment, some of the greatest minds/people in our history. Abraham Lincolm, Laura Ingals Wilder and many more..were taught at home for the younger part of their lives and rarely saw other children their own age or even other people besides their family.
They turned out amazingly, and made a huge positive mark on our countries history.
Having her with you daily will cement a very close bond between you.
There are pluses to the 'challenges' you are having with getting her out and about.
She is still young enough that you could get her all of the interaction she needs with a couple of play dates a month.
don
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:21 PM
The ladies on here have offered some good advice. However, I wanted to make a point.
Please consider for a moment, some of the greatest minds/people in our history. Abraham Lincolm, Laura Ingals Wilder and many more..were taught at home for the younger part of their lives and rarely saw other children their own age or even other people besides their family.
They turned out amazingly, and made a huge positive mark on our countries history.
There are pluses to the 'challenges' you are having with getting her out and about.
She is still young enough that you could get her all of the interaction she needs with a couple of play dates a month.
JTE11
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Than you so much for responding- you have made a good point! She is my first and I've never known anyone who had home schooled so this is all new and since we are so rural it worried me a bit. Your reply is reassuring to me that maybe she doesn't need to be around other kids as much as I had originally thought. I do have to step it up a bit, because she's not seeing kids except for maybe twice per year (maybe) and I would actually be happy with once or twice per month at this point. Thanks!

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

don

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)