Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Where do I start???

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:12 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son is 4! DH and I have already decided we will home school...but where do I start? What are my requirements ect....Im completely new to this! 

What age did you guys start homeschooling?

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Welcome to the group! Learn what the homeschool laws for your state are. Most states compulsory education dose not start before age 5 some even go as late as age 7. What that means is that you don't have to abide by the laws until your child is that age. Figure out your child's learning style, this will help you with what materials to use to teach him.

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:58 AM

Welcome Jensep.  As a home school workshop leader, I put together a free web page to answer questions like yours  How To Home School

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:46 AM
I have started at different ages depending on the child. At 4,so much learning can be done with guided play. 8) welcome to homeschooling!
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I started my youngest at age 5. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would have waited a little later to start formal education. Check your homeschool laws and contact HSLDA. Then learn your childs learning style and decide on your curriculum, unless you unschool. Just have fun with him for now!

megthompson920
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:05 PM

My DD is almost 4 and we started homeschooling this year. she's doing pre-k. We aren't doing anythign too formal. We are doing "before five in a row" for a curriculum which is really fun for her.. We get a different book every week from the Library and do five different things with it.. one day we do an art lesson based on the book, the next would be a science lesson etc. We are learning letter sounds to start reading as well, and some basic mathematics. 

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:10 PM
We started a2t learnfuning color shapes numbers singing letters song tie shoes most of this is throw singing and dancing
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Definitely learn your laws for your state. I've even printed mine out and have them on hand. I would also look into your child's learning style and you could even look into your teaching style. This can help when your looking into curriculum.
Most states don't require official school until 6 or 7, so you could use this time to start easing in and finding what will work for your family.
Also if you have pinterest, it can be a great resource.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I just started DD, 4 in a month.  I'm doing RightStart Math, Handwriting Without Tears, Real Science 4 Kids, Apologia Science, Read-along Books, Ready to Read books, I Can Read Books, tracing and coloring pages from various workbooks, Ooka Island online reading adventure and preschool prep dvds. 

Checkout those programs online, even if you don't purchase them there are some good instructional videos.

Molimomma
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:18 AM

My son is 3.5 and I started last fall because I needed more to keep him busy than just his toys! We only do about an hour or 2 a day (if you include story time!) but he loves it! I reasearched ALOT last year. First thing you need to do is look up the laws for where you live because some places require a letter of intent, attendance records or lesson plans why others do not(yay TX!). Then I would suggest figuring out how your child learns best and what he already knows before looking at any sort of curriculum. Try and find out if you have a prent/teacher store nearby for learning stuff, curriculum, info etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN