Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
My son is 4 1/2 and i am not to worried yet. He is just learning to read and thinks for a minute and usually gives me the right word. When I do have him sound out a word, he is starting from the right.

What are some things I need to watch for that could help if he does need help.
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 4:12 AM
Replies (11-17):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Then you know enough to get him learning!  :-)

Quoting debramommyof4:

I my girls got thier d's and b's backwards but never words. He is so different learning wise.  I have no clue how to teach him, except to keeping him active and making it fun.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Thank you.
My girls never did this we started marching at 2 (military family and the kids loved it).

I thought he knew his left from his right, and made it a super secret part of reading. But he continued so I guess I will try playing some more games.

Like I said earlier at 4 1/2 I am not to super worried.

But he is the only boy and he learns so differently. I do not want to miss a sign that he really needs help.

Boys do seem to learn differently.  I find myself reminding my boys multiple times about writing their numbers (2,3and6 especially) backwards, reading left to right, and things like that.  But then they will make these extraordinary connections that blow me away.  I think it's a concrete/abstract thing.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter had a lot of problems mixing up letters/sounds, etc.  I talked to a local teacher and she told me that it's very common for young children to struggle and to mix things up.  They just need positive reinforcement and practice.  Good luck!

BrettsMommy927
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:26 PM

transposing b'sp'sg'sand d's

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:33 PM

You could try having him make a capital L with his hands (you know the loser sign..lol).  If the capital L looks like it is going in the proper direction then that is the side we start reading on.  Just another idea.

BTW  the loser sign reference wasn't refering to him being a loser because he isn't....it was just to create a visual for you.  I don't want anyone taking that the wrong way.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I know he is a winner.  Except for potty training and he has lost that race.  But I understood what you were saying.

Quoting coala:

You could try having him make a capital L with his hands (you know the loser sign..lol).  If the capital L looks like it is going in the proper direction then that is the side we start reading on.  Just another idea.

BTW  the loser sign reference wasn't refering to him being a loser because he isn't....it was just to create a visual for you.  I don't want anyone taking that the wrong way.

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I just dont want to offend any one with my quirky sense of humor.

Quoting debramommyof4:

I know he is a winner.  Except for potty training and he has lost that race.  But I understood what you were saying.

Quoting coala:

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I am not easily offended.  But I understand, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Quoting coala:

I just dont want to offend any one with my quirky sense of humor.

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting coala:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN