Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

10 Things Moms Should Have in Their Cars at All Times

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 6 Replies

10 Things Moms Should Have in Their Cars at All Times

by Julie Ryan Evans 

rearview mirrorSome days I feel like I spend more time on the road than in my house. It's to school, to baseball, to soccer, to play dates, and to the market and back again, time and again. I actually love having that time with my kids when they're trapped with nowhere to go (mwahahaha), but you also have to be more prepared than a Boy Scout if you want things to go smoothly.

With the right arsenal of supplies, you'll be ready for anything. Okay, not anything, because with kids, you simply just cannot predict everything, but here are 10 things all moms should carry in their cars at all times that will help you manage most days.

1. An extra booster seat

Spur-of-the-moment play dates are fun, but not unless everyone has a proper seat to get there.

2. Snacks

Snacks, snacks, and more snacks -- all with long shelf lives.

3. Tissues

Especially during cold and flu season. You can't really tell them to quit wiping their noses on their shirts if you don't have a better alternative.

4. An emergency kit for cuts and scrapes

It doesn't have to be elaborate, but bandages, alcohol, tweezers, and cotton balls are always great to have on hand. 

5. A towel or blanket

To wipe off wet slides, clean up big spills, have an impromptu picnic -- trust me, you'll use it.

6. Extra clothes for everyone

Even if everyone's potty trained, those aren't the only kind of accidents.

7. Hand sanitizer

Even though I believe in good old soap and water most of the time, there are plenty of times when you want those germs gone any way they will go.

8. Plastic bags

For everything from wet swimsuits to messy, glittery art projects proudly brought home, you'll find many uses for them.

9. Kids' entertainment of some sort

It will vary according to the age of the child, but some small toys, books, or a puzzle that can be whipped out as needed can be a life saver.

10. A good book or magazine for you

You will inevitably spend time just sitting in your car, whether you're early for pickup or they're late getting out of practice. Having something fun to do while you wait makes the time fly.

What things do you make sure to always have in your car?

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Seriously?  Your number 1 is an extra booster seat.  That's crazy.  Not every mom needs an extra booster seat.  Booster seats are easy to move from vehicle to vehicle; if you want a playdate, you can get the child's normal booster. (Plus I have 3 kids and a Prius, no room for more)

We don't use tissues, the kids each have their own handkerchief.  We don't use hand sanitizer...ever.  We don't use plastic bags.

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:25 PM

#1 is a waist of money in my book but we do have # 3 & 4 in the car at all times. # 2 & 9 get brought every time but never left in the car. # 5 & 6 I hope we have out grown the need for with my children being older now.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Ha! I have known of that. I probably should though lol.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I've got none of it.  Well, except the kids' entertainment, which I balked at until I realize I probably have 50 or so books stashed and trashed throughout my car.

SusanTheWriter
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I do keep tissues, hand sanitizer (which I think we've only used once), and trash bags. Actually, they're little scented doggy-doo bags that I picked up at the Dollar Store years ago when we were going to travel with the dog. I just left them in there and they've come in handy.

I also keep allergy medicine, ibuprofen, and handiwipes. The allergy stuff is for when people forget to take their allergy meds and we go out for the day and they're miserable with sneezing. It happened once too often, so I just started keeping them in there. DH has a neck injury that causes chronic pain, so he's the reason for the ibuprofen. And the handiwipes earned their permanent place the day both kids threw up in my car. 

And the day I or my children get into a car without something to read is the day after the end of the world. In other words, it'll never happen.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 3:36 PM
I have a lot of that including a bag full of toys to take to doctor appointments, one nebulizer, and a collection of children's music cds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN