Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you work Fall Themes into your homeschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

Johnny Appleseed's birthday is coming up here in a few weeks so of course we will do a few apple theme things. In October I love doing folklore and other Halloween=y type things with the kids. It's my favorite holiday besides Christmas.

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Replies (11-15):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Mostly with the literature that we pick.

This year we are doing over a month of Halloween type stories.

The Old Hag and Her Long Leather Bag is a favorite!!  Plus Brer Rabbit Goes to the Witch, Abiyoyo Returns, etc.

We also made a hiking journal over the summer and the boys want to do that again as a leaf journal for the fall.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:31 AM
This sounds cool. Can you elaborate on the leaf journal?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

The Old Hag and Her Long Leather Bag is a favorite!!  Plus Brer Rabbit Goes to the Witch, Abiyoyo Returns, etc.

We also made a hiking journal over the summer and the boys want to do that again as a leaf journal for the fall.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM

We picked out a few of the leaves that go first (birch, cherry, witch hazel, chestnut) or that stay green (hemlock and rhodedhendron) and we did rubbings of them and then wrote the name of the plant under the rubbing.  Then we started collecting a few of the ones that are starting to change colors and fall here.  (Really only cherry and birch yet) and we have started pressing them to go on the "pressed pages."  Like a tree scrapbook. 

We did the same with our hiking journal, but we did rubbings of rocks, tree bark, pinecones, anything they found and liked.

Quoting mem82:

This sounds cool. Can you elaborate on the leaf journal?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I LOVE Halloween, it is my favorite holiday.  We are going to do folklore from all different religions and cultures during October to get in the spirit of it.  I can't wait!

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM

My son & I are doing pre-k/k. We are in our second week of apples. Next we start autumn, then pumpkins, owls, Halloween, farm/harvest, Thanksgiving....I love theme teaching especially with littles!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN