Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you think is broken here???

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this

This is our basic routine...

AM -   1- Quiet time, family prayer, and breakfast

2- Personal hygiene, make bed, and 1 small chore

3- Morning Meeting (pledges and sign language mostly)

School block A 

1-  Work with Kindergartener (Morning board and notebook, variety of stuff that holds interest)

2-   Big kids - Independent typing, flash cards, spelling activity, Bible Quiz study, and instrument (approx 10 minutes on most of them and 20 on instrument... they carry around timers)

School block B

1-   Work with older kids on English and Math U see alternately.

2-  Kindergartener gets time on the computer time4learning.com or other educational stuff.

LUNCH & small chore....

(lay baby down for nap)

School block C

1- Sciences 3-4 times weekly

2- Social studies 2-3 times weekly

Two days a week, we go to choir practice, but not until 2:45 pm...   

Why can't we seem to EVER accomplish this stuff????   Is it too much???     I also wanted to start teaching them about the history of Missions and missionaries with a tiny bit of geography thrown in.  That shouldn't take more than about 15 minutes each time... (a paragraph or two about each missionary and look at the map where they served and where they are from...  if I can get it smoothed out, we will discuss the countries and cultures a tad, but only briefly.

So...why does it seem we cannot accomplish anything.   The kids drag their feet or I get side tracked with baby or something takes longer than it should... argh...

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I wish I knew how to help. How many kids are there? I only school two, and I've always combined them.  We usually are done by 12:30 or so. I've never been one to make out a schedule, really. We just do what we can and move on. But in fairness, I don't have any hour requirements, so I'm not concerned with scheduling.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:41 PM
My kids seem to drag through our routines as well. Sometimes if it is too interfering, I will have the kids do a report. Sometimes I will stop for the day. Then, sometimes I just plow through because us stopping is exactly their agenda and I want some schooling done. Now if the kids straighten up, I will occasionally stop school a bit early.
lovelylady83
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I have one homeschooling and one nursing LOL... the homeschooler rarely ever accomplishes what I would like to... after the first week this year I was pulling my hair and decided in 3 years she hasn't changed so I have to make the change first... I am type A OCD ... CRAZY lady LOL... so this week I decided to just suck up my crazy and see what happens... Monday she read Ramona the Brave... the whole book for a book club meet we have in two weeks... according to my schedule she was only supposed to read one chapter... but she read and laughed and had a grand old time so... I finished the day with her Cumulative math Review/Test (Quarterly test) and an Art lesson and called it a day... she loved it!  Today... well today was slow... on the phone with the post office, ebay and paypal... soooooooo.... she did math, two spelling lessons and read about spiders... and she is thrilled... so.... I have to stop feeling like I need to do it all and just chill... easier said then done... maybe just take a week and let them each do what they want.... and see what happens?... traditionally this is not my style... at all... but its working... I am thinking I just need to subject block days... little of math and language arts every day... and then break up science and history ... throw in art and music when time allows... idk ... at least your baby takes naps regularly... I can't get lily on a schedule to save my life!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I'm only homeschooling one at the moment but hopefully soon I'll have my 13yo dd here too.

With ds we do science (watching a show) read a book, write a note, listen to a story (history) do a page of madlibs, work on a math W.S. and thrown in some art if he's in the mood. All of that takes about 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

SarahNElijah
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:16 PM
How old are your kids? Are there any times the older ones could help the younger ones? Or things they could work together on? Mine are only (just turned) 7 and 4, so we tend to keep things pretty hands-on and fun, but there are still days that things don't get done as planned or the kids just aren't in the mood and seem to drag! Hope you find something that works for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Looks like a good routine if it works for you.  My kids would not do well with that much structure.  We don't have much of a schedule.  We have a daily/weekly school plan.  There is no TV, computer, or tablet until school work is done.  So if they want to drag their feet all day, that's fine they just don't get to do any electronics.  They're usually done by 12:30, never later than 2.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:23 PM

How many kids?   4...   grades 6th, 4th, K, and a 15 month old.   I combine them all for science and sign language (their two favorite subjects), and the older two for social studies.  I also don't do social studies really with the kindy yet.   We have a family read aloud we work on, too.

I cannot combine for math or english because of how spread out they are.   My 4th grader is a solid 4th grader, my 6th is actually pretty advanced, and my kindy is maybe a tad behind (although I don't really care, she's learning)... but it puts a big spread on their abilities.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I wish I knew how to help. How many kids are there? I only school two, and I've always combined them.  We usually are done by 12:30 or so. I've never been one to make out a schedule, really. We just do what we can and move on. But in fairness, I don't have any hour requirements, so I'm not concerned with scheduling.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Yes, we do a lot of stopping and just quitting for the day.   I always feel like, it's three o'clock and where in the world did our day go???   I have schooled past three, but unless they are just on fire, it's useless.

I try to rotate what we skip, like if it's lunch time and we haven't gotten to english in a couple days, I'll skip science in the afternoon and do some grammar and such.   I loved english and writing as a kid, so it's a bit of a disappointment that it's their least favorite subject.   

Quoting kirbymom:

My kids seem to drag through our routines as well. Sometimes if it is too interfering, I will have the kids do a report. Sometimes I will stop for the day. Then, sometimes I just plow through because us stopping is exactly their agenda and I want some schooling done. Now if the kids straighten up, I will occasionally stop school a bit early.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:29 PM

During science my olders can help with the kindy, because we are together.   However, she is VERY combative in personality and will fight them tooth and nail just because she can.   I adore her, but if any kid fits the ADHD and ODD mold, it's my dear Abby.    Teaching her takes backflips and extreme excitement and high amounts of praise, consistent discipline, etc...   

My older kids are at a loss in dealing with her and they all get frustrated.   Hubby can't deal with Abby either.  

Quoting SarahNElijah:

How old are your kids? Are there any times the older ones could help the younger ones? Or things they could work together on? Mine are only (just turned) 7 and 4, so we tend to keep things pretty hands-on and fun, but there are still days that things don't get done as planned or the kids just aren't in the mood and seem to drag! Hope you find something that works for you!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Well, it's kind of more of a guide and a basic "here's what it would look like if we got it all done," thing.   It looks like structure.   I'm curious how many kids you have, grades/ages?   Do you unschool, or just relaxed and breeze through it as needed?  Do your kids use a curriculum for their main subjects and do you get through all of them through out the week usually?   I ask because I'd like to sit back and relax, but it's just not working.

Last year, we did time4learning.com at their own pace and added in English and books from the library on whatever subject they were learning on T4L.     I thought it would be terrific, but they hated it.   It got boring and they missed having a "teacher" to engage them and do hands on projects with.

We had such a lousy year that we bought all of our curriculum this time to be more hands on, but now i can't seem to do it all.

Quoting irvinehiker:

Looks like a good routine if it works for you.  My kids would not do well with that much structure.  We don't have much of a schedule.  We have a daily/weekly school plan.  There is no TV, computer, or tablet until school work is done.  So if they want to drag their feet all day, that's fine they just don't get to do any electronics.  They're usually done by 12:30, never later than 2.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)