Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you think is broken here???

Posted by   + Show Post

This is our basic routine...

AM -   1- Quiet time, family prayer, and breakfast

2- Personal hygiene, make bed, and 1 small chore

3- Morning Meeting (pledges and sign language mostly)

School block A 

1-  Work with Kindergartener (Morning board and notebook, variety of stuff that holds interest)

2-   Big kids - Independent typing, flash cards, spelling activity, Bible Quiz study, and instrument (approx 10 minutes on most of them and 20 on instrument... they carry around timers)

School block B

1-   Work with older kids on English and Math U see alternately.

2-  Kindergartener gets time on the computer time4learning.com or other educational stuff.

LUNCH & small chore....

(lay baby down for nap)

School block C

1- Sciences 3-4 times weekly

2- Social studies 2-3 times weekly

Two days a week, we go to choir practice, but not until 2:45 pm...   

Why can't we seem to EVER accomplish this stuff????   Is it too much???     I also wanted to start teaching them about the history of Missions and missionaries with a tiny bit of geography thrown in.  That shouldn't take more than about 15 minutes each time... (a paragraph or two about each missionary and look at the map where they served and where they are from...  if I can get it smoothed out, we will discuss the countries and cultures a tad, but only briefly.

So...why does it seem we cannot accomplish anything.   The kids drag their feet or I get side tracked with baby or something takes longer than it should... argh...

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM

:)   sorry, trying to answer everyone and explore my options...  maybe I just need to give us more time to get into the groove.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:16 AM

How long is a block?  Do you set a timer for the blocks?  Have you tried doing some school work during the meals?  We often do science (unless it's an experiment or something gross), history, and geography during breakfast and lunch.  It makes the lunch "break" a bit longer, but they are more of a captive audience.

Yesterday morning we were working on the 3 states of matter during breakfast.  I taped up a paper each for liquid, solid and gas.  I had the definitions written on index cards.  I had tiny post it notes with examples on them.  They would run over between bites and paste up the cards on the right pages.  They think it's fun to race around between bites.

It's also a captive crew for looking at the maps.  Listening to the history book. 

Also my boys do well with a quick snack in between breakfast and lunch.  We call it "food for thought" and eat it while I read our weekly short story.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I love the food for thought.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

How long is a block?  Do you set a timer for the blocks?  Have you tried doing some school work during the meals?  We often do science (unless it's an experiment or something gross), history, and geography during breakfast and lunch.  It makes the lunch "break" a bit longer, but they are more of a captive audience.

Yesterday morning we were working on the 3 states of matter during breakfast.  I taped up a paper each for liquid, solid and gas.  I had the definitions written on index cards.  I had tiny post it notes with examples on them.  They would run over between bites and paste up the cards on the right pages.  They think it's fun to race around between bites.

It's also a captive crew for looking at the maps.  Listening to the history book. 

Also my boys do well with a quick snack in between breakfast and lunch.  We call it "food for thought" and eat it while I read our weekly short story.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Keeps their mouth full so they can't are less likely to talk over me.  LOL

Quoting mem82:

I love the food for thought.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:23 AM
I was going to ask if you timed your subjects. Last year I would set aside a certain time for each subject but we would always go over or she wouldn't finish her work and we were taking all day long. This year I set aside the same times but I now have alarms on my phone that go off when it's time to move to another subject. I have plenty of time to teach the subject and for her to work, if she's not done when its time to move on that work just became homework. Do you know out of our first 3 weeks we've only had one or two days with homework. Soo much better than last year.
WizardOfAhs
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM

This was our problem as well. Two years ago I decided to go to one subject a day, with electives on Fridays. It worked! We were able to finish what I had planned in record time, so much so that I had to start adding a few things to feel like a full school day. They were still able to practice their instruments in the afternoon, too. This year, my oldest is in 9th and I have to do things a little different for him. He has so much to do that I had to have 2-3 subjects a day or risk burnout. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:49 PM
They set a timer when doing math for 45 minutes.. english usually lasts the same. They do math on their own while I teach the other english.

We don't usually do stuff during lunch except a documentary if they want. However we sneak in fruits, veggies, nuts, all day anytime.

They get a decent break after lunch and chore because I spend time for baby or myself before his nap. Then we pick up science or social studies or sometimes both.

I just feel like it takes all day.. it shouldn't. They shouldn't be schooling as long as the ps kids.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:49 PM
They set a timer when doing math for 45 minutes.. english usually lasts the same. They do math on their own while I teach the other english.

We don't usually do stuff during lunch except a documentary if they want. However we sneak in fruits, veggies, nuts, all day anytime.

They get a decent break after lunch and chore because I spend time for baby or myself before his nap. Then we pick up scienc or social studies or sometimes both.

I just feel like it takes all day.. it shouldn't. They shouldn't be schooling as long as the ps kids.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I think it feels like it takes all day because of the breaks.  If they aresetting a timer for the blocks according to the times you have listed Block A lasts 1 hour, Block B 1.5 hours, and Block C 1.5 hours.  So it is only 4 hours of school work, it's just spread out over the whole day by the chore breaks and meal breaks. 

Quoting KrissyKC:

They get a decent break after lunch and chore because I spend time for baby or myself before his nap. Then we pick up scienc or social studies or sometimes both.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

oredeb
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM

hi krissy,

sounds like you use it as a guide line? what about just continuing where you left offf the next day on each subject even if you didnt get to it or finish it?

also is this a new schedule/guide? giving it time might help, just starting a new things takes a while to get going, for you and kids to get use to?

also what helps us is setting time for our math(45 min) and english(45 min) each day eventually they got done faster as they got use to the time limit, what they dont get done they can either do next day or later that evening or whatever you decide. you can also give rewards for getting done in the 45 min time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN