Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you think is broken here???

Posted by   + Show Post

This is our basic routine...

AM -   1- Quiet time, family prayer, and breakfast

2- Personal hygiene, make bed, and 1 small chore

3- Morning Meeting (pledges and sign language mostly)

School block A 

1-  Work with Kindergartener (Morning board and notebook, variety of stuff that holds interest)

2-   Big kids - Independent typing, flash cards, spelling activity, Bible Quiz study, and instrument (approx 10 minutes on most of them and 20 on instrument... they carry around timers)

School block B

1-   Work with older kids on English and Math U see alternately.

2-  Kindergartener gets time on the computer time4learning.com or other educational stuff.

LUNCH & small chore....

(lay baby down for nap)

School block C

1- Sciences 3-4 times weekly

2- Social studies 2-3 times weekly

Two days a week, we go to choir practice, but not until 2:45 pm...   

Why can't we seem to EVER accomplish this stuff????   Is it too much???     I also wanted to start teaching them about the history of Missions and missionaries with a tiny bit of geography thrown in.  That shouldn't take more than about 15 minutes each time... (a paragraph or two about each missionary and look at the map where they served and where they are from...  if I can get it smoothed out, we will discuss the countries and cultures a tad, but only briefly.

So...why does it seem we cannot accomplish anything.   The kids drag their feet or I get side tracked with baby or something takes longer than it should... argh...

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Replies (21-23):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:17 AM
What about giving them choices??
lucsch
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I assign independent work for my 4th grader to do by a certain time. Then, we meet up together for some subjects, and I check over what she has done. Anything that isn't is homework. Your older two are definitely old enough to do some subjects independently, your older more than the younger. Independence means taking responsibility. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Yes, you are correct, I would love to hand them their work and say, "go to it!"   However, only one is able to do that some of the time.   

My kids are almost "atypical," however, they have some challenges that we struggle with overcoming.   Example, my eldest has some serious social challenges, had potty problems until almost 10 yrs, etc...  Her biggest issue is doing any form of independent work.   Yes, she SHOULD be doing it on her own, but she doesn't.   

Once, she refused to do her work all week, except maybe a small line here or a math problem there, but putted around ALL WEEK.    Saturday, the kids were outside playing while she sat at the table doing work.   She got frustrated and angry about hearing the kids outside playing on that beautiful spring day, so she jammed dry beans into her ears (for earplugs???).   Anyway, she couldn't get them out and didn't tell me she had done it until they had lodged in pretty badly.   The ER doctor couldn't get them out easily.   They tried four or five different things before getting them out.

We came home, and I sat her back at the table to finish her work.

Quoting lucsch:

I assign independent work for my 4th grader to do by a certain time. Then, we meet up together for some subjects, and I check over what she has done. Anything that isn't is homework. Your older two are definitely old enough to do some subjects independently, your older more than the younger. Independence means taking responsibility. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)