Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling fear...

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:41 PM
  • 7 Replies

I have 20 month old twin girls. I intend on homeschooling them, but I am absolutely terrified at the thought of it. I am afraid of failing. I know that homeschooling would be the best thing for them, but it is very daunting to me. I know that I have a couple of years before we need to officially start homeschooling, but I think about it almost everyday already. Did anyone else feel this way before you started homeschooling? 

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LocoCountryMama
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, but once I started reading about it and planning how and what I was going to teach them, the fear went away. Prepare as much as you can, and have resources you can go to for help (like this group!) when things aren't working.
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:26 PM
This. The more you read and familiarize yourself, the more confident you will feel.

Quoting LocoCountryMama:

Yes, but once I started reading about it and planning how and what I was going to teach them, the fear went away. Prepare as much as you can, and have resources you can go to for help (like this group!) when things aren't working.
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:38 PM

We are all apprehensive in the beginning because at this point in time homeschooling goes against the grain of society. The tides are turning though & if it keeps up at the pace it has been homescooling will become just as common as public & privet schools in the near future.

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:40 PM

"Absolutely terrified" is a good sign, because that means you care equally to your fear.  With that much care you can learn the rest, and will definitely succeed. 

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Somewhat but by the time I got here (DD is turning 4 this month) I was already doing so much with her that it wasn't that hard to add a few more things.

What helped me the most was going to homeschool expos (I've gone to 3 already and the first was when she was 18 months) it really helped to get more information about the programs that are available.

I LOVE Handwriting Without Tears!!!!! It's so fun and easy to use!!!

Check out things from your library like read along books, preschool prep videos, and beginning reading books.  My 19 month old already knows many letters from watching preschool prep, it's insane!

Check out online games like pbskids, sesame street and ooka island (homeschool buyers coop has a HUGE discount, I think I paid $40 for a year).

I'm using RightStart Math and love it too, again it's already laid out for you and easy to use and FUN! 

You can find many of these things on ebay cheaper.

Try to find HS groups in your area.

Checkout Lakeshore Learning stuff, it's awesome!

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:53 AM
OK, see, for me it wasn't scary at all . I don't say that to make you feel bad lol. First off, I never viewed homeschooling as anything other than my God-given right and obligation as a parent. For me homeschooling is just an extension of parenting. Teaching them to read and teaching them to ride a bike were the same thing. learning table manners, math, how to foldlaundry, spelling, pet care, getting along with others, weather patterns....these are all things that I as a parent are rresponsible for. To me, there's no difference. I think too many people forget that they are theircchild's first teacher and that doesn't have to end just because a child turns 5.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:56 AM

It's never too early to try and get in contact with other homeschooling families around you, especially if they happen to have a few younger kids like your's. The more you see how normal it all is, the more it will feel natural for you to do it yourself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN