Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do your friends and family quiz your kids??

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

I've heard that it's common for people to randomly quiz homeschooled kids to see what they know.  I'm talking about like at family gatherings, asking them if they know Presidents or addition facts, etc

Um, most people don't do this to public schooled kids.

Do you have an automatic comeback?

DH & I already have plans, we'll fight back and ask them to speak French (DH only speaks French to the kids, so they are pretty much guaranteed to know more than the peson asking as well as that person's kids in French).

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM
It has never been done in front of me but I know she has been questioned by the way she has talked.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I let my kids come up with responses.  About the second or third time, my oldest said that he had "this opportunity to play with my cousins, which is what [his grandmother} is always complaining we don't do, so let me go play with them."

When that didn't really help too much, he started saying to his brothers: "Smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave."  It got them to giggle about it and made grandma feel a little silly (like being outsmarted by a then 7yo).

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM

It has not happened to use but we don't have a lot of family we get together with.

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:04 PM

We have been questioned but by random people.  My girls don't mind showing off a little.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:04 PM

My family learned really fast not to bring up homeschooling...LOL

My sister's BFF tried saying something one day about my child and ADHD and schooling and she wouldn't STFU. So I brought up the fact that her beast had already been kicked out of one school and was on probation in a second. It almost came to blows.

MacMamaof5
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I hardly have to respond...not when hearing half of the crazy BS coming out of the kids' mouths that do public school.  Their parents look ashamed at some of the stuff they hear coming from their kids.  (That's what socializing with kids only their own age who are learning along side them will do--lol).  For the rest that do have heart, I've taught my boys to respond with "I don't perform or do tricks."  Works every time.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Oh gosh yes. My MIL is really bad. It drives me up a wall. Bit, my kids hate to perform, and to be asked things on the spot..so they will ignore the wquestion or answer wrong.
I get a small kick out of it, but hate the lecture from her later. Oh well.
oahoah
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Yes, usually my sisters. I try not to let it bother me because I know their "quiz" questions are just random & have nothing to do with what we're learning at the time.  There are times when I get worried and will talk to DH about it & he'll just give me a smart remark or comeback for next time (which I hardly ever use).  My boys don't mind so I try not to mind either.  If it was non-family, yeah, I would probably say something then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN