Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do we HAVE to do math every day?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this
DD hates math. Every day this week it has turned into a meltdown. I know it's not too hard, and it's not all too easy though some is more of a review for her, but I need to see what she knows so I only have her do a couple problems if its review. Then she makes obvious mistakes and she has a tantrum if I try to explain why something isn't right. Today it only took her 10 min to do 9 problems but 8 of them were wrong because of simple mistakes or not reading directions. She also hasn't memorized her multiplication facts (6s, 7s and 8s...the others she knows for the most part but I wouldn't say fluently).

So, can I schedule real math like m/w/f and just do a math game on t/th? Any other ideas? I just don't want to fight every day but I also think she really needs to learn this stuff.
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM
3 moms liked this

Math games sound great!!  Especially until she gets more comfortable with the math you are teaching.  :-)

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Math games & cooking cooking can help with the math & fallowing directions!

frndlyfn
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

There are tons of math games where the players really do not realize they are using math.  I would also perhap sub a lesson for a cooking lesson instead.  I wonder if a tutoring center could do independent testing to just see if she is trying to rebel against you in this subject or really does not understand the concepts.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally would skip the worksheets and just do online math games, math board games, cooking and one of my favorites, shopping :-) As long as she's learning, it doesn't matter how.

LongBeachLiz
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:31 PM
2 moms liked this
You don't HAVE to do anything when it comes to homeschooling. I agree with math games. If something doesn't work try another approach. Learning is fun.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Are you just doing worksheets? That's torture for some kids.  Hands on manipulatives and games might be a better path.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:59 PM

My oldest daughter HATES worksheets, so all of her math is going to be online.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

Are you just doing worksheets? That's torture for some kids.  Hands on manipulatives and games might be a better path.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:01 PM

That's the best part about it :-) I love being able to change things up whenever the mood strikes. It keeps learning fun for both of us.

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

You don't HAVE to do anything when it comes to homeschooling. I agree with math games. If something doesn't work try another approach. Learning is fun.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:06 PM
4 moms liked this

I haven't read the other replies and I'll probably be reamed a new one for this but, yes, math needs to be done every day. If there is ONE subject, above all others, that I feel needs to be done daily (to keep it fresh and ensure no gaps or lapses), it's math.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

collinsmommy0
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this
You can check out online lessons too - kahnacademy has lessons for all grades at this point, I think.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN