Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do we HAVE to do math every day?

Posted by   + Show Post
DD hates math. Every day this week it has turned into a meltdown. I know it's not too hard, and it's not all too easy though some is more of a review for her, but I need to see what she knows so I only have her do a couple problems if its review. Then she makes obvious mistakes and she has a tantrum if I try to explain why something isn't right. Today it only took her 10 min to do 9 problems but 8 of them were wrong because of simple mistakes or not reading directions. She also hasn't memorized her multiplication facts (6s, 7s and 8s...the others she knows for the most part but I wouldn't say fluently).

So, can I schedule real math like m/w/f and just do a math game on t/th? Any other ideas? I just don't want to fight every day but I also think she really needs to learn this stuff.
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
QueenCreole313
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this
You can anything you want. We don't do everything daily. We have block scheduling. I'm flexible as long as the kid is learning.
puglove029
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with you! There are two subjects that are done everyday in my house, and those are Math and English. We can skip anything else except those two.

Maybe try some real world math, give her a check book project, give her an amount (fake money :)) and make her grocery shop, or some conversions in a recipe. I was never a fan of math, but I enjoyed those tedious things.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I haven't read the other replies and I'll probably be reamed a new one for this but, yes, math needs to be done every day. If there is ONE subject, above all others, that I feel needs to be done daily (to keep it fresh and ensure no gaps or lapses), it's math.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Well, what all do you have him do in math? Do you have him playing any games with any of the math lessons? You don't have to have worksheets all the time. Math can be verbal too. Math can be cooking or playing mathematical games. Math can be jumping up and down on one leg. Or counting the pasta. Unless you are in algebra and up, you can do math numerous ways. You can even watch math videos.
SarahNElijah
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this
We do A LOT of hands-on games!! :-) Secret code math (he solves math problems -- one for each letter, and then can decode a joke, or start of a treasure hunt), we make our own math games (double war, doubling the dice or using extra dice), sidewalk math (he has to jump to the right number when I ask him a question), skip counting like hop-scotch, playing store with him as the cashier making change and adding totals, math tag (when they get tagged they answer a math question.. if they get it right, they get that many seconds to run), etc. etc! :-b

While I do agree that math is one of those things that takes a lot of repetition, I also believe the more fun it is, the better! I have always loved math and love to make it fun for my kids as well! One of my favorite memories is going into work with my dad before school and calculating numbers into different bases on his white-board.. because it was fun.. :-b
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanTheWriter
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Math games are still math, so you're still covering the subject every day.

We still drill math facts on car trips. DH will start tossing out numbers and functions and the kids race to see who gets it right first. They groan, but they play!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:05 PM
I so agree with this. That's why I'm questioning it. If she had the basics mastered, I wouldn't push her to do math every day. But since she has to think and sometimes even count on her fingers for the basics, I think she really needs it every day. I think I just need to find more things to help it stick for her and make it a little more fun.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I haven't read the other replies and I'll probably be reamed a new one for this but, yes, math needs to be done every day. If there is ONE subject, above all others, that I feel needs to be done daily (to keep it fresh and ensure no gaps or lapses), it's math.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM
We are working from a text book, she has like 10 problems a day and they are not all that time consuming. Today she also had a worksheet that was fun-basic multiplication facts and then coloring based on the answer..I thought she would love this but since she had to think she didn't enjoy it.

I'm going to look into some other games, we have a couple but I don't think it's going to work to just do like three games over and over.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

Are you just doing worksheets? That's torture for some kids.  Hands on manipulatives and games might be a better path.

BatMom.
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM
2 moms liked this
My Son's favorite subject is Math (and He's amazing at it!), but I would totally do this if I were in your shoes.

Quoting paganbaby:

I personally would skip the worksheets and just do online math games, math board games, cooking and one of my favorites, shopping :-) As long as she's learning, it doesn't matter how.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM
I'll try some of those ideas. I try to give her real world examples any time we are out and doing things. I use math a lot without even realizing it, so I won't her to know it is important and useful.

Quoting puglove029:

I agree with you! There are two subjects that are done everyday in my house, and those are Math and English. We can skip anything else except those two.

Maybe try some real world math, give her a check book project, give her an amount (fake money :)) and make her grocery shop, or some conversions in a recipe. I was never a fan of math, but I enjoyed those tedious things.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:12 PM
She mostly is doing review from a text book (it's really the only text book we use). I need to see what she knows, so I have her go through with me, and if she doesn't know then I assign some problems and show her. But for the most part, she knows what to do once I tell her, she just isn't sure what its all called (like "find the product" she might need to be reminded that a product means multiply).

I really feel like I need her to get those basics down better and I guess I just don't know how to make sure she can do basic math without using her fingers. None of the tricks that work for me have worked for her. Maybe we just need to play with manipulatives a lot more.

Quoting kirbymom:

Well, what all do you have him do in math? Do you have him playing any games with any of the math lessons? You don't have to have worksheets all the time. Math can be verbal too. Math can be cooking or playing mathematical games. Math can be jumping up and down on one leg. Or counting the pasta. Unless you are in algebra and up, you can do math numerous ways. You can even watch math videos.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN