Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do we HAVE to do math every day?

Posted by   + Show Post
DD hates math. Every day this week it has turned into a meltdown. I know it's not too hard, and it's not all too easy though some is more of a review for her, but I need to see what she knows so I only have her do a couple problems if its review. Then she makes obvious mistakes and she has a tantrum if I try to explain why something isn't right. Today it only took her 10 min to do 9 problems but 8 of them were wrong because of simple mistakes or not reading directions. She also hasn't memorized her multiplication facts (6s, 7s and 8s...the others she knows for the most part but I wouldn't say fluently).

So, can I schedule real math like m/w/f and just do a math game on t/th? Any other ideas? I just don't want to fight every day but I also think she really needs to learn this stuff.
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Replies (21-30):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this
GREAT ideas! Thank you so much, I am going to start using some of these. Let me know if you think of any others!

Quoting SarahNElijah:

We do A LOT of hands-on games!! :-) Secret code math (he solves math problems -- one for each letter, and then can decode a joke, or start of a treasure hunt), we make our own math games (double war, doubling the dice or using extra dice), sidewalk math (he has to jump to the right number when I ask him a question), skip counting like hop-scotch, playing store with him as the cashier making change and adding totals, math tag (when they get tagged they answer a math question.. if they get it right, they get that many seconds to run), etc. etc! :-b

While I do agree that math is one of those things that takes a lot of repetition, I also believe the more fun it is, the better! I have always loved math and love to make it fun for my kids as well! One of my favorite memories is going into work with my dad before school and calculating numbers into different bases on his white-board.. because it was fun.. :-b

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:17 PM
My son loves math and is great at it too, so it's extra hard for me to have a kid that's the opposite! DS has been so easy, I never had to teach him much. DD is the opposite and really needs to be taught things, in different ways too. It's really hard for me, but I know I can do it, I just have to figure out how.

Quoting BatMom.:

My Son's favorite subject is Math (and He's amazing at it!), but I would totally do this if I were in your shoes.

Quoting paganbaby:

I personally would skip the worksheets and just do online math games, math board games, cooking and one of my favorites, shopping :-) As long as she's learning, it doesn't matter how.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:48 PM

What about (as counterproductive as it might seem, bear with me, lol) having TWO math blocks DAILY? A "math game" block later in the afternoon, and structured math first thing in the morning. I was always encouraged to do structured math as the first subject in the morning - while brains are still fresh.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I so agree with this. That's why I'm questioning it. If she had the basics mastered, I wouldn't push her to do math every day. But since she has to think and sometimes even count on her fingers for the basics, I think she really needs it every day. I think I just need to find more things to help it stick for her and make it a little more fun.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I haven't read the other replies and I'll probably be reamed a new one for this but, yes, math needs to be done every day. If there is ONE subject, above all others, that I feel needs to be done daily (to keep it fresh and ensure no gaps or lapses), it's math.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

lucsch
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I think you do need math every day, but math games do qualify! Those are a great way to learn facts, as well as concepts. Look for apps if you have a tablet. Some board games are made especially to support math. Math shouldn't be limited to a subject in a workbook. Math is necessary for daily life and for problem solving skills. Learn it in context!

One thing we do that my dd says is fun, even though math is not something she enjoys ( she is not naturally a detail oriented person so she finds it tedious), is a challenging word problem our markerboard. She has fun changing the names and items involved. We do it together, which makes it easier for her. I demonstrate the thinking process out loud.

oredeb
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with autymom math in some form every day needs to be done, very important
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Unless your state law says different then you teach it how you want. When my kids struggled like this, we took three weeks off and just did flash cards, multiplication games, races, etc... then came back and had a much easier time.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Oh and if you can afford it, my kids are enjoying math u see. They are doing it mostly independently.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:19 PM

We can't afford it now, but I will keep it in mind, thank you!

Quoting KrissyKC:

Oh and if you can afford it, my kids are enjoying math u see. They are doing it mostly independently.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Well, it sounds like you are on the right path. Do you have a phone or tablet/ipad where you can download some math apps/games that could help reinforce what she nay be having trouble with? I know for myself, I have been trying to find an app or two that I can download that will help me teach couple of my kids some algebra and geometry with trig and calculus. I have run across some really neat looking apps/games.
Does she like to study in a particular way or does it matter? Does she even like to study with someone? The reason I ask is it may help to change what she normally does to see if she is getting bored with how she processes information. She may not even realize she is bored, if that is what the difficulty might be.

[quote name"TJandKarasMom" id="0"]She mostly is doing review from a text book (it's really the only text book we use). I need to see what she knows, so I have her go through with me, and if she doesn't know then I assign some problems and show her. But for the most part, she knows what to do once I tell her, she just isn't sure what its all called (like "find the product" she might need to be reminded that a product means multiply).

I really feel like I need her to get those basics down better and I guess I just don't know how to make sure she can do basic math without using her fingers. None of the tricks that work for me have worked for her. Maybe we just need to play with manipulatives a lot more.

Quoting kirbymom:Well, what all do you have him do in math? Do you have him playing any games with any of the math lessons? You don't have to have worksheets all the time. Math can be verbal too. Math can be cooking or playing mathematical games. Math can be jumping up and down on one leg. Or counting the pasta. Unless you are in algebra and up, you can do math numerous ways. You can even watch math videos.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:18 PM
I will look for some apps, I have a couple already, I should put that in my plans to have her do some, maybe that will help.

She played some math games with DS today and she had fun, so hopefully that will help too.

I think she just has a really hard time processing things and I don't know how to teach her in a different way, I feel like we have tried everything for these math facts and she just doesn't get it. Part of me thinks it's ok if she never gets to advanced math because she is not likely to need it, but the other part of me insists she needs to know this stuff. I feel like she should immediately know that 7+3=10 and that 3x5=15...I don't think she should have to use her fingers. But I don't know how to make those things stick in her head so she can do it without her fingers.

Quoting kirbymom:

Well, it sounds like you are on the right path. Do you have a phone or tablet/ipad where you can download some math apps/games that could help reinforce what she nay be having trouble with? I know for myself, I have been trying to find an app or two that I can download that will help me teach couple of my kids some algebra and geometry with trig and calculus. I have run across some really neat looking apps/games.

Does she like to study in a particular way or does it matter? Does she even like to study with someone? The reason I ask is it may help to change what she normally does to see if she is getting bored with how she processes information. She may not even realize she is bored, if that is what the difficulty might be.

[quote name"TJandKarasMom" id="0"]She mostly is doing review from a text book (it's really the only text book we use). I need to see what she knows, so I have her go through with me, and if she doesn't know then I assign some problems and show her. But for the most part, she knows what to do once I tell her, she just isn't sure what its all called (like "find the product" she might need to be reminded that a product means multiply).

I really feel like I need her to get those basics down better and I guess I just don't know how to make sure she can do basic math without using her fingers. None of the tricks that work for me have worked for her. Maybe we just need to play with manipulatives a lot more.

Quoting kirbymom:Well, what all do you have him do in math? Do you have him playing any games with any of the math lessons? You don't have to have worksheets all the time. Math can be verbal too. Math can be cooking or playing mathematical games. Math can be jumping up and down on one leg. Or counting the pasta. Unless you are in algebra and up, you can do math numerous ways. You can even watch math videos.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)